Classical Gas

AcousticAl

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:53 pm

AndyT wrote:
Al, You are correct. There are times to 'play' with a song and just have your way with it, then there are times to just give us a nice clean version of it.

Tommy E is so incredibly good that I think it might be impossible for him to issue a 'straight' version of something but I'm sure he can deliver a clean version of it with no trouble.

I guess so, Andy. He'd probably be too bored if he just played a straight version.

I wonder what Neil's thoughts on it would be. I have a feeling that Neil's not a huge fan of overplaying (for lack of a better term). I remember on one of the TG Lives he said-- (paraphrasing) that you don't need a lot of notes-- as long as they're MEATY. I liked that.

Chasplaya

Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:00 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Yeah, would you Southern Hemispherians please sort yourselves out! :woohoo:

Tovo wrote:

Well I'm confident I have it together but I'm concerned about that fella from over the ditch.
Well, made me check back to see what i'd written to wonder what it was we had to sort out, still wondering. As we actually agreed on TE's version of Classical Gas, certainly the one in the vid posted here. I have actually heard TE play it 'straight' if thats the correct term without any of the tomfoolery. However audiences expect TE to play the fool nowadays its part of his 'act', and this is his business that pays his bills. His ability with the guitar is out of this world, absolutely no doubt about that, now if he played straight all the time I think he might not be so popular, what he does is he has fun with his playing and thus the audiences his paying customers have fun too. So Tovo I don't think we have anything to worry about on this one, we agree about the mans brilliance with his act and we both agree the version of CG posted here at least is not that great. However, If I could play that version I think i'd be over the moon, lol.

This might be as close as straight CG from TE that you'll get, remember he's a showman and thats how he makes a living..

quincy451

Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:28 am

Replying generally all over this thread.

1) Yea in one target live Niel did talk near a discussion on TE about too many notes. I think that is about all your going to get from Neil. I for one wish he would just come out and ssy when he doesn't like something or has a different view on it from what he thinks most might think. For me, agreement is not required. But to know why Niel has his opinion is educational.

2) Yea the first posting on this thread was a cat and mouse version of the song. I have seen different versions like that. This is the first time I have seen this version. It is interesting to see but not what you want for classical gas.

3) I think Chas makes some good points. Tommy Emmanuel is not going to come out and play Masons version note for note. Even if some might like that better. The reason is he is doing a cover and he wants to bring something do doing the cover. Another example of this is Heartbreak hotel. Originally done by Elvis and others. But Tommy keeps the song there but presents a full pallet of music.

4) I think you have to understand where Tommy is coming from. He is playing for the audience for the most part but also playing with you. He is having fun. Your along for the ride.

5) It is interesting to watch Tommy with his brother. He is often seen making adjustments to this brothers guitar settings while he is playing. That takes quite an ear. It is also interesting to note that given a choice tommy would rather play rhythm guitar. So I think that is why most of his songs have all 6 strings flying like mad most of the time.

Of course when you figure that out...he does something like Those who wait.

AndyT

Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:59 am

Those Who Wait.
Just another reason I look at Tommy and think he's a true Master of the instrument. Just beautiful.

tovo

Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:06 am

Chasplaya wrote:

Well, made me check back to see what i'd written to wonder what it was we had to sort out, still wondering.
Nothing mate, I was just ribbing you because you're a Kiwi. Apologies, I love it when someone agrees with me so I should have left it at that! :)

I think Al expressed it perfectly. It's obvious Tommy is a genius, few would dispute that. I just prefer the original.

Chasplaya

Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:14 am

tovo wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:

Well, made me check back to see what i'd written to wonder what it was we had to sort out, still wondering.
Nothing mate, I was just ribbing you because you're a Kiwi. Apologies, I love it when someone agrees with me so I should have left it at that! :)

I think Al expressed it perfectly. It's obvious Tommy is a genius, few would dispute that. I just prefer the original.
Slight correction 'Skiwi' lived half my life in Scotland the other half here in Aotearoa. Its good to agree sometimes even with Aussies lol

mark

Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:30 am

AcousticAl wrote:
I'll compare it to something else that bugs me. Singers (DIVAS) who you know can sing. REALLY SING. And they do a classic song- and they add tons of embellishment, and sing around the notes so much that you lose the song almost entirely. I'm sure you can think of quite a few artists who do this often. That's what he reminded me of.
I agree with this.
It's almost as if you can become too good and reach the stage where you can't just play the song.
Some very good players always seem to have the need to add in extra bits, which are often displaying very difficult playing or show off bits.
Often these bits aren't very "musical".

quincy451

Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:54 am

Chasplaya wrote:
tovo wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:

Well, maybe if I said summarized well, there would be less difficult. For there is nothing much in dispute here to sort out.

Chasplaya

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:04 am

quincy451 wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
tovo wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:

Well, maybe if I said summarized well, there would be less difficult. For there is nothing much in dispute here to sort out.
No worries mate its just good old Kiwi vs Aussie banter, we thrive on that sort of thing, quite harmless really.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:51 am

Thanks for that Video Quincy, wonderful sound! I have two questions:

Why is Tommy wearing headphones, no one else is playing anything?

And, if I get an old beat up guitar, can I play like that? ;-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic