Classical Gas

ffsooo3

Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:26 am

Something to aspire to.....

Lavallee

Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:38 am

Thanks for posting this video ffsooo3, I was listening to an interview of him where he was saying that he never learned the original. What is fantastic about his interpretation is that he took the melody and applied it to his style and made it is own. I think this is what we should aspire to : develop a style

Marc

dennisg

Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:42 am

This is about the fourth different video of him playing this song that I've seen, and it blows my mind every time. Talk about a guy who has complete command of his instrument!

- Dennis

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Talk about being at one with your guitar phew the energy of this guy never ceases to amaze me, loved the transition to Hank Marvin tunes and the harmonics at speed (hard enough to do them slowly lol.

Thanks for posting this clip ffsooo3

tovo

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:04 pm

I love Tommy, in my mind one of our most successful exports, but I am going to create a bit of a shock-horror moment by saying I don't like his version of Classical Gas at all. Don't get me wrong, the man is a genius with a guitar and I listen intently every time I hear him play or speak, but don't like his interpretation of CG.

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:14 pm

tovo wrote:
I love Tommy, in my mind one of our most successful exports, but I am going to create a bit of a shock-horror moment by saying I don't like his version of Classical Gas at all. Don't get me wrong, the man is a genius with a guitar and I listen intently every time I hear him play or speak, but don't like his interpretation of CG.
I kinda agree with you on that point Tony, all too frequently he makes very light of it and almost makes it fun of it. I guess from playing it so often it might become a chore almost. I like Chet Atkins version but you can never get away from the original.

michelew

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:16 pm

Tommy Emmanuel is the original guitar larrikin. Here seems to never take anything seriously. He is brilliant, very cool.

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:24 pm

michelew wrote:
Tommy Emmanuel is the original guitar larrikin. Here seems to never take anything seriously. He is brilliant, very cool.
I guess he feels the larrikin bit is what sets him apart and makes him stand out from the crowd (small crowd) It does make him almost unique, his brother is also very good and when they get together ... Outstanding!!

dennisg

Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:01 pm

I gotta disagree with you on this one, Tony. For me, there's nothing so sacred about the original Classical Gas (or any other song) that a guitarist can't have fun with it. He's not doing a parody of it or demeaning it. He's just having fun. But beneath all his embellishments, there's still that incredible Classical Gas melody, and Tommy plays every note of it.

- Dennis

tovo

Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:11 pm

dennisg wrote:
I gotta disagree with you on this one, Tony. For me, there's nothing so sacred about the original Classical Gas (or any other song) that a guitarist can't have fun with it. He's not doing a parody of it or demeaning it. He's just having fun. But beneath all his embellishments, there's still that incredible Classical Gas melody, and Tommy plays every note of it.

- Dennis
I never said I think it's sacred Dennis, and never said he can't have fun with it...that is closer to what Chas said. I simply said I don't like it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic