TotallyGuitars Hall of Fame

Chasplaya

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:35 am

A discussion on another thread threw up the concept of creating a TG Hall Of Fame for Musicians we believe are deserving of recognition. This came about due to dissatisfction with the Rock and Roll hall of Fame.

Now I don't mean we post names here on any random basis but have a proper system set up for

a) Firm criteria for nomination,
b) a voting system
c) rules on who votes
d) a panel determined by TG members to do the selection from the nominations
e) timeframes established around nominations/selection/voting
f) Frequency of the award.
g) what is actually done with any award (could this be a publicity/marketing thing for TG also)

Now thats the foundation of the idea. How about members comments feedback suggestions. TG ownership comment also would be useful, could this be a useful thing for TG?

So don't post names here just yet, feedback on the idea first please.

Lavallee

Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:59 am

I think if there are people to be nominated, it should not be based on the level of the player but how the person has improved since he or she has joined TG. One of the criteria should also be how the person has used the tools that Neil has provided with (techniques).

Marc

Lavallee

Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:04 am

I think I misunderstood what you meant. I thought that you meant for TG members but you wanted to vote for professionnal musicians, so ignore my last post.

Marc

AndyT

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:35 pm

We should have a rotating membership on the selection committee. Committee members should be Target Members.

The actual voting should be Target Members only.

An additional benefit of being a Target member is you get to vote and possibly serve on the selection committee.

The Band or person must have been in the industry over 25 years. They do not have to have more than one hit, as selection is based on overall contribution to the genre. This is not a popularity contest, but it will be taken into account.

Awards are twice a year for 5 new inductees each time.

Is this The TG Music Hall of Fame, or The TG Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?

Personally, I go for Music Hall of Fame over R&R.

Chasplaya

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:43 pm

AndyT wrote:
We should have a rotating membership on the selection committee. Committee members should be Target Members.

The actual voting should be Target Members only.

An additional benefit of being a Target member is you get to vote and possibly serve on the selection committee.

The Band or person must have been in the industry over 25 years. They do not have to have more than one hit, as selection is based on overall contribution to the genre. This is not a popularity contest, but it will be taken into account.

Awards are twice a year for 5 new inductees each time.
I agree with most of what you say, although knowing the difficulty the R&R HOF had change the number of inductees to 'up to 5'.

Also we need our own name can't copy R&R HOF say maybe something like the TG Role Of Honour (Honor for Bear)

AndyT

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:45 pm

The TotallyGuitars.com Gallery of Musical Excellence

BigBear

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Folks, I am strongly opposed to this idea. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but recent history here has shown that many of us are hyper-sensitive about our "beloved" musical artists. Too many sacred cows for us to be selecting our favorites. If someone's cow gets gored and left off the list there will be hard feelings. Sad but true.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Shame should prove to us that selecting artists that anyone can agree on as worthy of special recognition is a very slippery slope. We should avoid it like the plague! We don't need it!

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:03 pm

You can get this from The Onion store:

Chasplaya

Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:15 pm

BigBear wrote:
Folks, I am strongly opposed to this idea. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but recent history here has shown that many of us are hyper-sensitive about our "beloved" musical artists. Too many sacred cows for us to be selecting our favorites. If someone's cow gets gored and left off the list there will be hard feelings. Sad but true.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Shame should prove to us that selecting artists that anyone can agree on as worthy of special recognition is a very slippery slope. We should avoid it like the plague! We don't need it!
I hear what you say Bear, but the concept is to use more democratic means for selection than R&R Hall of Shame uses and as Andy has recommended a rotation of the selection panel each time so no one person takes ownership and further this is not being done for commercial reasons either. I'm open about it and would love to hear other comments if its not gonna fly then its not gonna fly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic