The Who At The Super Bowl

haoli25

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:30 pm

In case you missed it. A GOOD but not a GREAT performance. imho

Bill

AcousticAl

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Never been a huge Who fan.

But they do write great themes for all of the CSI shows!
:laugh:

songman52

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:08 am

Hmm... hard to say what was live (if any) and what was recorded.

Happy for the Saints, though.

sophistica

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:10 am

I think it was live, however Townsend missed many an arm swinging chord, I counted 5 ~ a few are clear, his jacket tail got tangled between he and his strings and pick, however on 3 occasions, come up on an upstroke, he simply missed the strings.

He was also off key ~ probably a result of his tinnitus, they should have had back up singers. Their medley of their greats was wonderful though ~ I couldn't half his licks which he did rather well. Roger was in rare form as was their drummer Zak (Ringo Starrs' son) !! Ah, the British did it so well !! Loved the invasion!

Nice.

David

BigBear

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:27 am

Yeah, the boys are getting old but they are still great showmen. I was surprised how bad Daltry's voice sounded. Townsend is still a terrific guitarist.

Overall, I agree, a good but not great performance although the pyrotechnics were impressive! :cheer:

haoli25

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:36 am

I was actually surprised when The Who were booked to do the Super Bowl. I was once a fan and I can tolerate some 'bad behavior', but I never truly bought Pete's story about his "research project".

Bill

BigBear

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:43 am

haoli25 wrote:
I was actually surprised when The Who were booked to do the Super Bowl. I was once a fan and I can tolerate some 'bad behavior', but I never truly bought Pete's story about his "research project".

Bill

There was quite a movement on conservative radio to ban him for his transgressions. I can't tolerate that stuff in any way, shape or form but his case was adjudicated by the English Court system so I have to accept that justice was done.

But like I told my wife, I will never let Michael Vick off the hook. He should be under the jail not out of it! Can you tell I'm a dog lover? ;)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:51 am

Well, after hearing Roger Daltry sing live for the first time in 100 years... I feel better about tuning down my guitar to get my voice to fit Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me!

Visuals were really impressive... and how the heck do they get that stage set up and dismantled so fast... it's not like it was a simple soap box!

6string

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:15 am

I'm wondering if the stage plus was on wheels???

dennisg

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:56 am

I was surprised by how great Roger Daltry's voice was, considering it was a live performance and the guy's in his 60s. But I wish The Who had chosen to just sing three or four songs all the way through -- I'm not a fan of medleys.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic