HOLY MOLY! How do you keep you ego from getting crushed.

haoli25

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Just checked Wikipedia Chris. It says he was born on September 2, 1996.

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:13 am

Well I'll be danged! Just looked him up in the internet... he is playing this evening 30 minutes up the Road in Germany (Weil am Rhein) which is attached to Basel. I may go and see. Waggis... you around? Strange coincidence eh?

Chinese calendar Bill! And no way he's 4... check this video out looks more like 10, 11 or 12:
http://www.sunghajung.com/18006#10

haoli25

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:16 am

Worse, American calendar! :) He was born on 2 September 1996. You happy now Chris? :laugh:

I think I would pay to go see him play.

wrench

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:32 am

Steve, I have to think one of the unwritten lessons here at TG is that in order have fun here, you gotta leave your ego at the front door. I saw Sungha Jung months ago as I was just taking my Beginners' First Five lessons, and I thought about the fireplace, too. Then I realized I took on guitar knowing that for the first time in my life, I am not going to get close to doing this better than everyone else. It's hard to resist the competitive nature, though. I hear ya'.

As far as ego goes, forget about Sungha Jung; how do you keep your ego intact among the likes of Mark (all of them), Damian, Al, Jay, Chris, Pierre, Tony, Willem, Suzi, Joe, Gary, Anton, Dennis, Scott, Abilio, Michele, Izzy, Andy, Terry, Buddy, and watch out for the new guy McFingers. I know the list isn't complete - and it's growing dramatically - and they're getting better all the time. My ego checked out about a hundred student videos ago.

Sungha is a prodigious talent. I too hope he is able to be happy about sharing his gift among the inevitable exploitation.

mcfingers

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:34 pm

wrench wrote:
Steve, I have to think one of the unwritten lessons here at TG is that in order have fun here, you gotta leave your ego at the front door. I saw Sungha Jung months ago as I was just taking my Beginners' First Five lessons, and I thought about the fireplace, too. Then I realized I took on guitar knowing that for the first time in my life, I am not going to get close to doing this better than everyone else. It's hard to resist the competitive nature, though. I hear ya'.

As far as ego goes, forget about Sungha Jung; how do you keep your ego intact among the likes of Mark (all of them), Damian, Al, Jay, Chris, Pierre, Tony, Willem, Suzi, Joe, Gary, Anton, Dennis, Scott, Abilio, Michele, Izzy, Andy, Terry, Buddy, and watch out for the new guy McFingers. I know the list isn't complete - and it's growing dramatically - and they're getting better all the time. My ego checked out about a hundred student videos ago.

Sungha is a prodigious talent. I too hope he is able to be happy about sharing his gift among the inevitable exploitation.
Wrench,
I think you are absolutely right. I think most people are here not create a career in guitar but to participate in their love of music and playing. That's is certainly my motive. I want to get better AND have a good time among new friends all of whom share the common interest of guitar playing. You mentioned some very fine people, all working towards a common goal. Hopefully, to have fun. You mentioned that McFingers guy. I am watching him, closely, he seems shifty to me. hehe.

I think this thread has provided some good food for thought. Steve

Moondog

Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:36 pm

He recently played in Seattle. I didn't get a chance to see him there but you can go to his web site (yes he has one) and get concert dates.

Mike

waggis

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:48 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
[quote]Well I'll be danged! Just looked him up in the internet... he is playing this evening 30 minutes up the Road in Germany (Weil am Rhein) which is attached to Basel. I may go and see. Waggis... you around? Strange coincidence eh?

Chinese calendar Bill! And no way he's 4... check this video out looks more like 10, 11 or 12:

Hey Chris. I knew about Sungha and Ulli Boegershausen playing together for several months now and had really planned to go tonight. Fortunately, I was out late last night at a Tommy Emmanuel concert in Basel and can barley keep my eyes open now. I think I will try to catch this act next time around. I don't know if you were there, but Thommy's show was incredible. Together with his Nuclear Powered Amp, Tommy put out sounds on his guitars which I could never dream possible.

David

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Dave: Oh, shit, I missed Tommy! Oh man! Is this ridiculous or what.... Tommy E playing 30 minutes up the road and I miss it.... what was I thinking....

haoli25

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:08 pm

Chris, I hope you can catch Tommy E. either for his second show in Switzerland or on Sunday in Belgium. That woukd be worth the trip!

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic