HOLY MOLY! How do you keep you ego from getting crushed.

mcfingers

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:45 pm

I have seen this young man before on YT. I came across him again tonight. Initially, he has one of two effects on those of us trying to get better on the guitar. Either you watch in awe hoping against hope that one day..... or you want to throw your guitar in the fireplace. I choose the former. Check out his version of Cannon in D. It looks like he is smashing ants on his fretboard.

Sungha Jung WOW!

tovo

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:48 pm

You don't have to be the BEST guitarist in the World. Just enjoy it. In any field there are a small handful of people that are in a stratosphere all of their own. I marvel at them but I accept that it's extremely unlikely that I could ever play like them. That's cool. I'll just focus on being the best I can be. I know it was probably a rhetorical question Steve, but anyway...be a bit of a boring thread with no answers!

mcfingers

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:54 pm

tovo wrote:
You don't have to be the BEST guitarist in the World. Just enjoy it. In any field there are a small handful of people that are in a stratosphere all of their own. I marvel at them but I accept that it's extremely unlikely that I could ever play like them. That's cool. I'll just focus on being the best I can be. I know it was probably a rhetorical question Steve, but anyway...be a bit of a boring thread with no answers!
That's a very sensible and sane philosophy Tony.

What do you mean no answers... you answered within 3 minutes of my posting it. You're on it mate.

TGMatt

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:02 pm

I agree,,,

I am not sure he will make much impact ...who knows..I am unsure as to the motives of his parents..and where that will lead..is he in joy..??..is this WHAT HE WANTS ??..

And more than anything the most important thought for me, is I never compare myself to anyone for anything...my only measure is myself..If I am a little better each day and having fun then I won..

Guitar for me is also not an end result..it is an ongoing hobby for life..in context that changes the shape of how I look at it...

I truly hope the kid is having fun...and this is as much his passion as it is someone elses..

If that is the measure truly...then we all here won that race a long time ago..it simply is not a competition with that thought

mcfingers

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Matt, I think you hit the nail on the head. When I first saw this boy I had many of the same thoughts. There are a couple of his songs where he truly does seem to be in the moment. I hope our "Only winners are winners and everyone else is a loser" society can regain some of the joy you spoke of. It really bothers my when I see parents of young athletes yelling a screaming at not only their own kids but the officials, other kids, other parents. It's nuts.

I had a very wise father who once told me that there would always be somebody that would be better than me at almost everything I tried. But, as long as I did the best I could he could ask no more. Pretty sound advice still I think.

Cheers

P.S. I think I over stated my reaction to seeing this young guy play. I like your approach. It's much healthier. Besides, I could jam with you and have fun. Doubtful that that would be the case with this little fellow.

AndyT

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:40 am

SungHa's parents never planned for him to play guitar. He started learning it on his own. He wanted to play and he spends his time practicing because he wants to. His parents were smart enough to let him go and they don't push him on it, but they encourage him because he loves to play.

He started off being self-taught but I think he now has a teacher and gets lessons. Not 100% sure on that one.

But he does it because he wants to, not because his parents had $$ in their eyes. Praise God. Such a gift to have!

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:10 am

Yep Steve, seen it many, many times. A performance can inspire or depress you when you compare yourself to what someone else can do. Tony and Matt have a healthy angle on this and it makes sense to find a way to be happy for someone with that kind of talent but not be put off what you want to achieve. As Matt points out, if you improve a little today, you win and have fun. I really take your point on American society and the winning is everything madness. Apparently the only acceptable answer to "How are you today" is "Never been better!" OMG! Give me a break! It's healthy to take up an activity because you want to excel at something and see yourself improve. Wanting much more than that can soon move you into the realms of obsession and joyless slavery at what you do. Of course, there is more than a touch of that in there for all the major top performers but they come to terms with it... or not. I work with sports people everyday, beginners and champions and the best goal really is to be the best you can... and if that's better than the rest, great you're the champ. If not you still win because you spent an enjoyable time improving yourself. But if the activity you spend so much time on (guitar, Tennis, Squash whatever) isn't intrinsically fun and inspiring, there is something very wrong.

Dealing with our ego is one of life's great challenges, having a performance oriented activity to work on is a great testing ground and learning opportunity! It will show you where you stand.

izzyhara

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:44 am

Wow. This topic got pretty heavy. But I know what Steve means. At first glance, my mind wanted to tell me that this is just a young boy, and he is better than I could ever be. And you get this little moment of despair. For people who lack any self-belief, they might take a hammer to all their guitars and say "I'm done!" Isn't that sad? I watched him play this song and laughed a little at myself. I guess it isn't impossible to make those reaches for me because I have grown-up hands, and he is just a young boy with small hands. He compensates by moving up the neck a little bit - well, I can do that too !! Does he have more natural talent than me? Undoubtedly !! Does he have more time to play? For sure, cuz this darn adult life, like family, housework, career, does get in my way a lot. But I basically love playing the guitar, and find joy in watching other people play. So after your brain goes through all these games to try and tear you down, the end game is that I love to play - for me (and sometimes for you guys). And that I get better every day. I think the moment of discouragement happens to most of us.... I think what Chris says, and does with the people he works with, is try and keep that discouraged feeling from overcoming our potential. I wish that every child could learn that lesson at a young age. Izzy

haoli25

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:39 am

I think Matt may have nailed this one. I was reading an article recently about Sungha Jung. He will turn 4 years old in September. One of the reviewers commented that "this little boy never seems to smile" during his many performances. It was also stated that the boy's father recently quit his job in South Korea to manage and market his son's career and website. I hope the little boy is not just living 'Daddy's dream'.

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:09 am

Must be an old report Bill... no way that boy 4 years old ... looks like 7 or 8... maybe he's a late developer! Or maybe I see it wrong.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic