John Butler Trio in Zürich

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:53 am

Went to see the John Butler Trio on Sunday night. NCSURFER mentioned him in a thread a while back. PDG if you ask me! Love the 12 string acoustic stuff he plays. That guy has real talent and the trio made an astonishing sound together. Ok, I think there were some tape tracks or loops in there at times but that added and didn’t detract. I was on my way home from another SQUASH !T with 100 kids over the weekend and got a call from Johnny Williams, who is an Aussie squash pro here, asking if I’d like to join him as he had a spare ticket. It was worth the drive back to Zürich, where I just came from. Best songs were Ocean, Treat Yo Mamma and Zebra. They have an unmistakable Aussie sound, something about the beat and the vocals... oh, yeah and the accent! Really recommend his concerts.

beaker

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:43 am

Chris, ya man, this guy is great! I think he played in Vancouver recently but I missed it. Dammit! Thanks for posting the vids. Beaker.

reiver

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:04 pm

Chris
Saw JBT in Manchester (UK) a few weeks back - thought they were great. The energy of the song Ocean - played live - was incredible. I'd recommend this band to anyone out there. If you get the chance, go.

BTW (for those interested in such technicalities) - he plays his 12 string as an 11 string! He removes the high G and leaves a space, then tunes it all to C. Just FYI.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:38 pm

Yeah Stuart, Ocean was just sensational as was Treat yo Mama. I bet he kept breaking that G-octave string! C-tuning is the one I use for Question and sounds lovely on a 12 string.

waggis

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Looks like I missed this one. Wasn't even on my Radar Screen. How can that be!

David

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:05 pm

If my friend hadn't called me up 2 hours before the show, I'd never have made it either. Unfortunately it was not a non-smoking event (Maag Halle) and I almost didn't make it through the whole concert... simply couldn't breath!

ncsurfer

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks for the props Neverfoundthetime,, I would love to see him play live. I am very jealous! Thanks for the video links...good stuff.

I'm going to see John Prine and Old Crow Medicine Show next week for some additional inspiration.

Speaking of inspiration I recommend looking up the website for Almira Fawn, a 12-yr old singer-songwriter. I saw her play two years ago and it helped me get off my bum and pick up the guitar seriously. Nothing as astonishing as some of the similarly young talents out there but she does put together the whole package (improvising, lyrical songwriting, stage confidence, etc.) Does pretty good with a looper as well, a one girl show.

Cheers!

reiver

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:09 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Yeah Stuart, Ocean was just sensational as was Treat yo Mama. I bet he kept breaking that G-octave string! C-tuning is the one I use for Question and sounds lovely on a 12 string.
Chris
Breaking it? Almost certainly, but - he just doesn't seem to like the highest string to be in there with the mids. "Obnoxious" was the word I read him use to describe it!

waggis

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:13 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Unfortunately it was not a non-smoking event (Maag Halle) and I almost didn't make it through the whole concert... simply couldn't breath!
I thought there was a no smoking ban in public places thoughout Switzerland since April 1? Or does it only take effect after May 1st and only in eating and drinking establishments. I am not certain how it will apply.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic