Has the TG Experience Changed Your Views

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:46 pm

The main title this thread is in is 'Best Guitar Players', in that we had numerous threads but mostly it was about who we thought were the best guitarists and the most inspirational.

Now 'Best' lists are always subjective and depend on several factors i.e. your age, what you grew up with etc etc.

But my question for you guys is since joining TG and given the exposure to numerous artists have your thoughts changed in any way since you first joined. Now obviously who inspired you wouldn't really change, maybe you could add to it but, how about your thoughts on the 'Greats' any changes, additions or have you dropped anyone off your list.

I know i've certainly added to my list, I now listen to the Moody Blues (yep Chris The Moodies you got me mate) I've also added Greg Lake who never used to feature in my lists, now simply as a result of being a member of TG he rates in my book. So my answer is yes TG has changed my views.

Whats yours team?

tovo

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Good topic. I too have listened to the Moody Blues...but they are not to my taste. That's cool, it's like so many things, don't know until you try. I do like Knights in White Satin so that's something.

I would say that although I was a Neil Young fan before TG I am a bigger fan now. I have been exposed to a wider range of his catalog through TG and enjoy a wider range of his music now.

I always enjoy TG members posting songs that are either not widely known or have been hidden away for a time. It's great to have exposure to a new tune, even if it causes disbelief every so often when people can't believe I have never listened to well...guys in frilly shirts for example.

tom18

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Chas,
Absolutely, TG membership has definitely expanded my appreciation of guitarists and other musicians as well. I almost hate to admit this but I'd never even heard of Tommy Emmanuel before I joined! Now I'm trying to figure out how to get tickets to one of his shows. I've also frequently found myself going back to old LP's and CD's to listen to recordings that haven't seen the light of day for quite a while. I think my list of all time favorite guitar players remains pretty much the same though. I guess it's a consequence of living with favorite pieces of music for many years; the performances (and the artists) get wired into your DNA. Nonetheless I find myself much more open to new music than ever before.
Tom

wrench

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:28 pm

I am a new fan of many artists, such as Jethro Tull, but the revelation I find is an understanding of the music beyond just its entertainment value. By that I mean identifying the musical elements such as keys, patterns, and modes helps me know why I like or dislike a certain piece. I'll also say that understanding an artists' musical product commands from me a level of respect for the music. So, yes, TG has completely changed my taste in music by providing me the ability to evaluate it in some meaningful way.

haoli25

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Through TG I have added some new 'Guitar Heroes' to my list and I have gained an even greater appreciation for many of my longtime favorites. I am also very grateful for the introduction of some new (to me) music. The site never ceases to amaze me.

Bill

Music Junkie

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:39 pm

Chas:

Great question!

Like Tony, I had been a fan of Neil Young before joining TG, but I have become a bigger fan since.

Tommy Emmanuel was someone I knew of and heard was damn good, but I had never really taken the time to listen to him. Needless to say, I was blown away....

Neal Schon is still one of my favorites, but I doubt that he will ever make it into the program. Must be one of those that I need to do myself to share....

Not a big Moody Blues fan either, but I appreciate their popularity.

Greg Lake! I knew of ELP, and liked some of their music, but never really knew much about their line-up. "Still You Turn Me On", and "From The Beginning" have landed me solidly in the Greg Lake fan category. I am waiting expectantly for the other songs that Neil mentioned.

I guess overall my taste has stayed the same, although it has broadened. However, I know there are many more artists coming my way to learn about..... :)

Jason

Lavallee

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:24 pm

I am still quite weak in theory however but it is part of the plan now , TG has thought me to work on the details that makes a difference between playing guitar and playing properly (I understand the concept but I am working on the application of it).

I used to be sloppy in my playing in a sense that as long as it was similar, I was good with it. Now I can spend hours on a little detail in a lesson because I understand the benefit and know that it will be useful somewhere else.

I have and is currently working on songs that I had no interest before but that I decided to work on because of the techniques involved.

Interesting that the Moody Blues resurface every now and then (Thanks Chris).I have been a fan for 35 years. At that time, I was the only one among my group of friends who liked them.

Marc

BigBear

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:43 pm

Chas- I don't think my tastes have changed much in the last year since joining TARGET but I have grown to appreciate some srtists more, notably Tommy Emmanuel, and Laurence Juber jamming with Neil on Black Magic Woman.

For me, the fun part is to learn that there are so many Prog Rockers here. I thought I was the odd man out but it seems there are lots of fans of this great genre. I'm not sure I would have made it to adulthood without Camel, Renaissance, Yes, Marillion, Gentle Giant, Wishbone Ash, Barkley James Harvest and so many more blaring in my headphones.

I'm also glad that two of my favorite groups, Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues have been re-discovered by some of my friends here. Their music has proven to be timeless.

Finally, and thanks to Neil, the Beatles are starting to grow on me. The breadth and width of their catalog is truly amazing. Heck, I may even play a few of their songs just for grins!! lol! :cheer:

AndyT

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:09 am

My tastes in music are pretty much the same, but I have a whole new level of understanding on many artists that I used to flat out dislike. Songs I simply hated I now understand them more and have a new respect for the bands. I still may not like them, but I've become open to much more than I used to be.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:18 am

Good question Chas!
For me, there has been an enrichment of my musical understanding and appreciation of techniques and skills. I didn't know about Tommy Emanuel before I signed up here. I was never particularly interested in guitarists, just in music and being able to play songs I like. I appreciate Neil Young and Eric Clapton much more and enjoy Bob Seger. I've gained a much better understanding of how riffs are played and about timing and especially syncopation. If I was to point out just one piece of knowledge that has helped my playing on nearly all my songs, it would be the importance of the up and down strokes and listening to how they map out the rhythm and strumming patterns. I now pay so much more attention to that and it shows.

As to to the Moody Blues.... I'm really chuffed (pleased) to have shared my joy of their music with a number of TGers. I love the ping pong game Tony and I have with them. I hold Nights in White Satin to be the greatest love song of all time. I think the frilly shirts have really gotten to Tony... must be having nightmares about those "Knights" swanning around in white satin (where would they hide their swords?)! :laugh: I admit, I've made that typo before too!

Great to see BigBear finally getting his Beatles appreciation 40 years after the fact... better late than never my friend!! Love it that you and Bill appreciate the Moodies as I do. And I'm tickled pink that Neil feels the same way as I do about Al Stewart, his song writing and Year of the Cat and Broadway Hotel both songs I love to play. For 30 years I've stood pretty much alone with my appreciation of Al Stewart.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic