Has the TG Experience Changed Your Views

pbraun

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:05 am

I don't think my view has changed but my appreciation of music and guitar playing has. For different reasons my all time team would need to include...Neil Young, George Harrison, Clapton, McCartney fits in here and James Taylor. I know there are better out there but these have always push me to try and learn their songs.
Pete

jim56

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:25 am

Most definitely, not only in the genre of music but also in the global community that TG has provided through the forum. The majority of the music Neil creates as lessons are the bands I grew up listening to. But, he has broadened my knowledge and taste with the introduction of Tommy Emanuel and John Renbourn! In fact, if I had the funds I would be traveling to see Renbourn at a workshop in the South of France which is scheduled between July 31st and August 8th.

Furthermore, the new found friendships that have been created in the past year have been a joy. New friends not just in my backyard, stateside, but globally like the Netherlands, Switzerland, England, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etc. My view has changed from this TG experience.

Jim

willem

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:34 am

Certainly changed my views,,i did never play guitar and started 6 years ago,,only listen to music,,only a bit frustating that it never came early'r in mind to play the guitar,,but i thank god on my knees(my head to the south/west)for those that brought us TG,,now on the moment i think i wanna do this the rest of my life,,study all of the given music here, i don't think that i'm gonna be a exellent player but a bit more then only strumming and i wanna bless this whole community,,you are great..

MarkM

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:58 am

Chas,

Great thread going here. Have my views changed because of this site? Hmm. Well as for the music I love to listen too I would say very little as this site/Neil's lessons are really in the sweet spot as to what I've always listened too. I would say that at least 90% of the lessons here are of songs that I have heard thousands of times and have always wanted to learn at some point in my life. I just never had the tools or skill to tackle them before. I'm amazed every day at the new lessons/potential lessons that come out. Great stuff. Now what has changed is, for lack of a better term, my ear. I now listen to the music and can determine if it is in standard tuning or something different like drop D or Double drop D. In addition to that as I listen to the music I can hear what they are doing for the most part and then try and visualize it. For instance if there are hammerons or pulloffs I can now make that determination a heck of alot easier than I used to be able to do. My appreciation for what the artist is doing has dramatically risen since coming to this site. We all know that Clapton, Hendrix, Steve Ray, Tommy E, etc are all great guitarists. However now as I listen to other music I am pretty amazed at what they were doing when writing/playing the music. Ian Anderson, Neil Young, Stephen Stills, George Harrison, Lindsy Buckingham etc are all known for their music but are all mostly not known or underrated for their playing. In addition to that what has changed is some of the mystery for me. In the past I would hear a song and think that it would be cool if I could try and play that. I wouldn't get very far because I really had no idea what they were doing or it was just too complex for me to try and learn. Now I can hear some of what they are doing and if I have some good tools to learn from I can manage pretty well from the learning standpoint. Execution is still another matter. I will say that I have noticed that it takes me shorter amounts of time now to learn a song. Be it a lesson here or something else that I'm trying to learn. I find that a song that looks daunting to learn up front now comes a bit quicker for me because of the skills I have learned here.

MarkM

Chasplaya

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:53 am

Some really interesting takes on this, c'mon there are a few more of you hiding in the shadows that must have something to add.

Notably most have experienced change , and all for the good!

tovo

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:28 pm

On the topic of TG changing your view. Been spending some time listening to Jim Croce. I'd heard most of his songs before, but knew nothing about him to speak of. I am currently playing "I got a name" every time i get in the car and so I've absolutely gained an appreciation of his music from TG. Obviously such a sad story as well.

This clip is one I have watched a lot. My understanding is that Jim was killed only 6 days after this recording together with the other guitarist. Watching it makes you realise how fragile life is:

By the way, Jim had his guitar SO high. Was that a trait he was particularly known for?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic