>Matt visits the Taylor Guitar factory on a preliminary tour..

TGMatt

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:07 pm

. Image

TGMatt

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:08 pm

. Image

TGMatt

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:09 pm

. Image

TGMatt

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:10 pm

. Image

TGMatt

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:11 pm

. Image

TGMatt

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:12 pm

. Image

TGMatt

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:13 pm

. Image

TGMatt

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:14 pm

. Image

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:43 pm

I guess its thank goodness for the digital age, these would have cost a fortune in old fashioned film, plus they'd still be at the developers lol.

haoli25

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:43 pm

TGMatt wrote:
haoli25 wrote:
Just curious Matt, now that you have played many 'high-end' guitars, do you have a favorite? How would you rate the Taylor guitars to others that you have played?

Bill
Some of the Taylor's I picked up were ridiculously light..yet sounded so good, they weight contributed to a comfort factor I am sure..I am still honing my ears to what sounds great and not..but for me it boils down to action...if I can play it with a sense of ease then that for me goes a long way..

It would be remiss of me not to talk about Neils..

He has several of course..the two from Santa Cruz are exactly the same..but one plays better to me, the one he uses on the vids..to me it is best described as "liquid"

The Claxton is for me not as nice ...sound wise or playability, in fact my Guild is frankly better yet Neil's son has an earlier Guild same style and wood, yet plays with a much higher action and thus "feels" off..

I have tried a bunch of Taylors, Martins, and Guild's...then all the usual suspects, from Alvarez to Yamaha and on to carbon fibre guitars you name it..

best guitar ?..a Japanese brand that escapes me right now..it was a classical, and I will get the details for it and post a picture as it had a fully rounded back ..

I am in love with the Jason Mraz nylon from Taylor..it is just so light and yet "feels' right..

So..still learning , you guys by and large know way more than I ever will on this subject..but for me the idea of a totally hand made guitar honed by one man over 3-6 months or a couple of blokes like at Santa Cruz really captivates me..and so I will be getting a couple or 3 made..one by each ..

Sorry if that wasn't more technically orientated..but you guys are way ahead of me on that.

I think the biggest thing for me next 20 years is to collect guitars with a story and relevance..rather than an off the shelf thing..

I will probably sell all the "off the rack" units I have next couple of months to complete that turn..

Here is a pic of the Grimes I am going to have custom made.. Image

It took me many, many years to come to that same conclusion. I finally learned to tune out the advertising and reviews and buy the guitars that 'felt right' and 'sounded right' to me. It has made all the difference. Good luck building your collection, Matt.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic