Not a country fan, but...

Lavallee

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Not being a country fan, I do not follow the artists. This week I listened to Lucinda Williams (for the first time, even if she had been performing for at least 30 years, shame on me!!) doing the song Joy from the Album Car Wheels on the gravel road. This live version (which was the one on the radio) is a great mixture of rock and blues. There is a good slide section and Lucinda's voice is quite appropriate. Watch the guy with glasses round 6min15

Marc

beaker

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:10 am

Yeah, Lucinda may have been a country artist at some point but there is definitely nothing country about this song! It was actually pretty cool. the highlight was that guy's guitar solo. He went off!

willem

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:38 am

It was a joy and i don't give it here back...

Lavallee

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:53 am

beaker wrote:
Yeah, Lucinda may have been a country artist at some point but there is definitely nothing country about this song! It was actually pretty cool. the highlight was that guy's guitar solo. He went off!
He seemed to be on fast forward :laugh:

Marc

Lavallee

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:54 am

willem wrote:
It was a joy and i don't give it here back...
She looks serious about it. Keep it Willem ;)

Marc

tom18

Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks Marc,
I have the album this appears on but hadn't listened to it in quite a while and I'd never seen this video. It's really true that there's a lot of crossover of genres these days. It reminds me of being dragged to a Clint Black concert about a dozen years ago. I had no idea what I was in store for; he and his band put on a show that would shame your average rocker. His act is well worth catching if you get the chance.
Tom

Lavallee

Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks for the the info on Clint Black I will check him out. This is another thing I like about the TG site. There is always some new bands to learn from everybody's datbase.

Thanks Tom

dennisg

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:58 pm

I'm not a country music fan at all, but I've been listening to "Car wheels on a gravel road" for many years. To me Lucinda Williams just defies categorization. I love that she's got so much grit in her music.

ncsurfer

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:55 pm

I felt the same way after listening to Patti Griffin for the first time, very eye opening for me. I could listen to Lucinda williams and Patti Griffin all day long, great stuff. Thanks for the post. "One Big Love" by Patti is a great crossover-type of song, but I couldn't find her version on youtube so I'll share this one instead.

[video][/video]

Here's another great artist from my neck of the woods, similar genre. Hope y'all enjoy it

[video][/video]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic