2003 Pink Floyd Rockumentary

Hydroman52

Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Okay, I'm a little bit slow. I just watched a 2003 Classic Rock Documentary on the making of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album. This is probably old stuff to most PF fans here, but for those who haven't seen it, it's well worth the 51 minutes or so of your time . Interviews with band members and others, vintage video, back stories to the songs, and behind the scenes footage. Alan Parsons sits at the mixer and isolates instruments and vocals in a number of places to help you imagine how it was recorded and put together. Very well made, and there are a few sections where you can see them play acoustic versions of short segments of the songs. They make it look so easy. I streamed it over the Internet through my Netflix Instant Queue. So anyone with a Netflix subscription can watch it.

Also watched It Might Get Loud a few weeks ago. If you like Led Zeppelin, U2, and/or the White Stripes, you might find this interesting. It's probably geared more for the electric guitar player, but there are some acoustic parts. At the very end, Jimmy Page, Jack White, and the Edge (David Evans) do an acoustic version of The Weight by The Band which is a Target lesson. I think Jimmy Page was a little disturbed doing this what he coined as a "country" tune. I think this flick is more for the musicians rather than the general public, because it tends to focus on the guitar.

Next to watch is probably Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young.

BigBear

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:05 am

I've seen the program you are talking about, I think. If it's the one that takes place over the mixing board with someone showing how the tracks sound indiviually and then mixed plus interviews and song clips, it's really excellent. I've seen thte PF one several times and it never gets boring.

It really made me realize, despite the fame of Gilmour and Waters, how significant and important Rick Wright and Nick Mason were to the Pink Floyd sound. Wright left us too early.

Plus, the whole series is great. The one with Pete Townsend and The Who, The Doors, and several others were all very interesting and showed sides of the bands we don't often get to see.

I certainly agree with you- highly recommended! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic