>> Interview with a blind guitar teacher, player and composer.MattB - the challenges and inspiration

blindshine

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:41 am

Thanks for posting this Matt:
i have come full circle in my outlook in the past three years. My vision losss was fairly sudden and I went into a grieving process as anyone does when dealing with loss (as with loss of a family member). I have learned that this is normal. The guitar was my companion during this time, and that may be the reason I progressed rapidly (I practiced my fingers off). But as I dealt with challenges and overcame them, I began to realize that focusing on what I don't have or can't do is wasted emotion. So I began to look at possibilities instead of limitations. I now have begun to do most of the same things I did before my loss, backpacking, working out, and I would imagine that I am one of the only bonsai artists in the world who can't see what he is doing...LOL (this was a passion of mine for years). I don't cut my own grass (is that a loss?), but I do most of the cooking in my house. Heck, my cell phone even reads my mail with optical character recognition software. I don't say these things to toot my own horn but rather to say that I am a typical person who now happens to be blind, and as I speak with other blind individuals, I realize that I have a way to go til I lead as fulfilling a life as many with whom I have become friends, and Matt B certainly exemplifies such a person.

Again, this posting was not meant to pat myself on the shoulder....I am a fairly quiet guy who has a long way yet to go, but it was a cathartic expression on my part.

Michael

RicksPick

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:04 pm

Inspirational MattB

Im going to focus some
Thanks

RicksPick

TGMattB

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:37 pm

Greetings all, specifically to my blind comrade,
This is my first official posting to the forum. Thank you all for all of your kind words. I must say that being called inspirational always makes me feel a bit sheepish, but maybe that can make you look at the challenges that each one of you has overcome. Not one of us has lived a life without obstacles to have been overcome.
Within the last week and a half, I was diagnosed with my third cancer, this time in my sinuses and perhaps in my lungs. Matt Williams, who should really have a user name of Encyclopedia Boy, has been guiding me through many natural therapies to help me in getting myself healthy again. Matt, you're already family, bro, and I love you, man. This is maybe a bigger obstacle than I'm used to. Pain and fatigue are the main challenges at the moment, but they're easing a slight bit at present. I feel inconvenienced and annoyed, but optimistic. Homies, if we can get through challenges like this or like losing people who are close to us, blindness ain't no thang. And we can, you know. We can and we do and we will. When you go through any challenge at all, just take note of it and remember the next time you feel like something is too big.
OK, enough pep-talking. I need a not so quiet word with my Strat. Happy playing, you guys, and I look forward to contributing a bunch to teach and learn here. Peace for now.

jim56

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:11 pm

Welcome aboard TGMattB,

Man I love your pep-talks and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Jim

tovo

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:44 pm

MattB you make sure you keep that optimism and take care of yourself. Wishing you a speedy recovery and look forward to more contributions from you.

blindshine

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:06 am

Matt B
It is very good hearing from you, and I hope to hear many more notes from you in the future.

Good luck to you in the challenges you face. You are in my thoughts and prayers. And you are right..... everyone faces challenges in life, and it is how we deal with them that makes us who we are.

Michael

BobR

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:46 am

MattB,

After watching the 5 part interview it makes me want to be more focused and not to worry if I can't get something down as quickly as I wished. You're a true inspiration. I hope everything works out for you.

bob

Hydroman52

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:09 pm

Hello MattB,

I’m very sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis. You are a skilled guitarist and your Jack Johnson lesson is very good, and I am looking forward to your next lesson. Actually, this interview was your next lesson as I have picked up a few tidbits from it.

Thanks,
Hydroman52

takhak

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:23 pm

MattB
Best of luck in the battle ahead.I would be a willing contributor to a fund to help offset some of the costs associated with treatment.Praying for you too.

lueders

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:32 am

Matt,

Late to respond so I won't type a novel. I just want to reiterate how truly cool this interview was. I loved the bit about it really being about the "journey" and not the destination. The idea that is more important to really love something than to be good at it.(But in your case, you don't have to worry about either.)

Great advice for life in general. Got me thinking about the shallow rock n' roll ethos: (very, end-result oriented) "Let's form a band and score some ladies & make a lot of $$" I'll try & remind myself of this idea, the next time I start expecting ridiculously huge gains out of guitar or even life, for that matter.

I will say, I felt like my I.Q. dropped twenty points; listening to Matt & Matt bantering back and forth and speaking so intellectually and articulately...Really liked that stuff about Tesla, never knew any of that stuff. (Fascinating.) Whole thing was great!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic