Visit to Nashville, Tennesse by guest reporter Wiley..

wiley

Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Jerry,

By "infamous" in the Antonym sense (praiseworthy, admirable), as in "Everyone knows about it" not in any bad reputation. Perhaps I should have thought the wording out a bit clearer.

I've spent many weekends on the Riverwalk, the wife used to do quarterly meetings in SanAntonio years ago. I enjoyed it then, back before places like Hard Rock and the such became prominent there, back when "Originals" was just that, "Original". There were a lot of small dinner/clubs back then (like "Dirty Richard's where the part of the atmosphere was for the wait staff to be 'outspoken' by design), and I must say one of the more memorable trips we took was when we spent a lot of time going from one to the other (I didn't drink back then, not that I do so much now, I had a reaction to certain chemicals in adult beverages that caused me to instantly have a migraine).

Our last trip, last year, it seemed that the Corporate world has taken some of the 'feel' from it, then again, I knew the place before the Corporate world was there so my view is a bit tainted. Kind of like Vegas in the time before the "Mega Resort" became so common place. Not 'bad', just 'different'. My first trip to the Riverwalk was in '85, Vegas was '86.

Lavalle, and everyone else, one of the places we visited in Nashville I didn't mention was "Gruhn Guitars" on the corner of 4th and Broadway. It's 'world renowned' for Vintage instruments and for George Gruhn, who still works there behind the counter. Guitar Player mag called George "the man who knows more about guitars than anyone on earth". They had a couple of Tacoma guitars (pre-Fender - $750us) and a Martin Nylon 12 fret (Martin SWC Sting - label signed by Sting and CF Martin IV - $1,550us) along with the Gruhn/Ryman/Martin (D-16RGT) custom (comes with a headstock overlay, pickguard, and fretboard inlays made from some of the original Ryman Auditorium Oak Church Pews - $2,400us w/hardshell case). Place is full of "WOW" guitars and accessories.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic