Doyle Dykes

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:32 am

Last night I had the opportunity to go to my local guitar store (where I take lessons) and watch Doyle Dykes perform in front of a crowd totaling 40-50 people. I bought a ticket for $10.00 and went with no expectations. I was not very familiar with Doyle other than what I had read in a few posts here at TG and what the guys at the store told me about his talent. He is doing a series of Taylor shows in small venues such as this. Anyway, The show started at 7:00pm and lasted til about 9:30pm. I left thinking to myself that I knew I was no good at the guitar, but I never really realized just how "no good" I was. I was truly blown away by the talent this man possesses. Not only with the guitar, but his his audience. Very personable and quite the comic.

He started off with this country-fried pickin'. Let's just say it was fast, furious and solid. I really wanted to video the show last night to share with the site here, but they asked respectfully that no video or audio be taken.... :( He moved on to perform some of his own music which was very beautiful. A song that I really enjoyed was "Red Clay". Had to do with an area close to Doyle's home where the infamous "Trail of Tears" began back in the day. He also played a song called "Bridging the Gap" which he plays with his son on his new CD. I guess his son is quite the guitar player as well. He told stories and chatted with all of us sharing some hilarious takes from his time in the studio with various artists. All quite enjoyable. The part that got me really excited, was when he told us he was going to be touring with Tommy Animal (oops I mean Emmanuel) next year. He told us he and his partner call Tommy by animal for his playing skills. That really piqued my interest. I will be eagerly anticcipating that show..... :) Doyle told us of how he played "Classical Gas" in his 9th grade talent show and got first place. He then got to meet Mason Williams some years later. Mason told him how he got that cool sound. He told him that he had a 12-string playing in the back. So Doyle decides he is going to play "classical Gas" on a 12-string. He picks up this absolutely beautiful signature series 12-string from Taylor and begins to belt out "Classical Gas" for us last night. HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was freakin' tired after watching the song..... :woohoo: He went on to perform a few more songs, including a tribute to his father who passed away a couple of years ago.

Anyway, sorry for being so long here, but I was really excited to share this. If any of you ever get the chance, whether you like country style music or not, you should absolutely go see this man perform. Very nice person and an amazing performer.

Oh, and check your TV's for a channel I think is called RDF or RFD.... :unsure: :unsure:

Doyle is getting his own TV show soon with all kinds of guest performers. Going to be called "Live Sessions" or something like that.

Jason

jayswett

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Thanks for the event synopsis. Doubtful that he will be coming to my small corner of the world, but I'd sure love to see him.

haoli25

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks Jason. I'll bet that was a lot of fun. I have seen a few videos of Doyle performing and I would like to see him play LIVE. Now if he is touring with Tommy Emmanuel, I won't miss it.

Bill

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:28 pm

Jay:

You never know where he might be showing up....

Here is a link to his upcoming locations.

http://www.doyledykes.com/tour.htm

Bill:

You should have heard the oohs and ahs when he announced that. It was a very comical conversation. Listening to him talk about Tommy was pretty neat. He has a lot of respect for the guy (how could you not though, right....).

J

mcfingers

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:29 pm

Jason, I know just how you felt. about 10 years ago I was asked by a friend if I would like to go to a guitar picking workshop in a newly opened guitar shop in the small town of Paradise, Calif. I said, "sure, who are we going to see?" My friend said" Doyle Dykes. Never heard of em'. Boy, did that change once he started playing. There were only about 10 of us at the workshop. That's all the little music store would hold. We each paid $10 for the privilege. As you said, he was very generous about explaining his techniques and answering all of our questions. Mostly we all just sat there in awe of his playing. It was an experience I will never forget.

Steve

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:46 pm

Steve:

I know exactly where Paradise is.....lol

Just north of Oroville, right?

$10.00 is a heck of a deal is it not!

The way that guy could play harmonics and the sounds he made with his various guitars were very motivating, if not humbling..... :)

J

mcfingers

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Ha ha, That's the place. The music store owner is Wayne Charvel. Some of you may have heard of Charvel guitars. Wayne has built guitars for some pretty famous artists. None of which come to my withering mind right now. :laugh:

Oh yeah now I remember, Notice Doyle Dykes in the list. Now I know how Wayne got Doyle to come to Paradise. :P

Wayne Charvel
has Built Guitars for:

Edward Van Halen / Van Halen
Mike Anthony / Van Halen
Billy Gibbons / ZZ Top
Dusty Hill / ZZ Top
Tommy Bolin / Deep Purple
Riche Blackmore / Deep Purple
Harold Cowart / Bee Gees
Michael Angelo / Nitro
John Kay / Steppenwolf
Bobby Cochran / Steppenwolf
Randy Thomas / Allies
Bob Carlisle / Allies
Terry Kath / Chicago
Jeff Ross / Bellamy Brothers
Mark St. John / Kiss
Paul Gilbert Racer X, Mr. Big
Addie / Fanny Band
Kenny Lovelace / Jerry Lee Lewis
Janet Robin / Precious Metal
Mara Fox / Precious Metal
John Entwistle / The Who
Pete Townsend / The Who
Vivian Campbell
Allen Woody / Allman Brothers
Greg Allman / Allman Brothers
Warren Hanes / Allman Brothers
Nuno Bettencourt / Extreme
Doyle Dikes
Fred Newell / TNN
Hank Williams Jr.
Cliffy Stone
Oz Fox / Stryper
Dave Murray / Iron Maiden
Russ Parrish / Metal Skool
Warren DeMartini / Ratt
Curt Mitchell / Learn to Burn
Eddie Ojeda / Twisted Sister
Brian Young / David Lee Roth Band
Jim Root / Slip Knot
Lance Turner / The Atomic Punks
Eric Ferentinos / Stephen Pearce (Ratt)
Kingdom Come
John Cipollina / Quicksilver
Joe Perry / Aerosmith
Don Rich / Buck Owens
Maurice Huffman / Big Mo full moon band
Scott Shaw / Visions Rush Tribute
Loren Tipton / NIHILIST
Matt Smith / NIHILIST

tovo

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:08 am

Nice description MJ thanks. Sounds like you had a blast.

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:00 am

tovo wrote:
Nice description MJ thanks. Sounds like you had a blast.
Twas fun indeed, my green friend.... :)

MarkM

Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:35 am

Jason,

As you saw Doyle is fantastic. Thanks for the description of the show. I would just love to see this guy in the environment that you did. Here is a clip that is one of my favorites from him. While My Guitar Gently Weeps on a 12 string. WOW!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic