Flamenco

AndyT

Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:18 am

LOVED it Chris! Hmmm... put glasses on the guy on the right and it could be your brother!

Lavallee

Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:23 am

Thanks Chris, I always liked Al Dimeola, I also like Elegant Gypsy song and all the record (on which Mediterranean sun dance was on). It is the first time I see Pablo de Lucia, this guy has no problem alternating fingers on the same string, wow!

Marc

Hydroman52

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:48 am

Chris,

Thanks for the video. Unfamiliar with De Lucia. Big fan of McLaughlin from Mahavishnu Orchestra days and always liked Di Meola whenever I heard his music and collaborations. It's nice to reconnect with their music.

A couple of observations:

Di Meola and McLaughlin have no trouble playing flamenco with a pick. Wow, are they fast!

The De Lucia/Di Meola duet in the beginning is incredibly tight. Have these guys been to the crossroads and done a deal with the devil, or what?

Di Meola plays an Ovation. I believe it is his signature model, a customized Legend most likely with a deep bowl. He sure does make it sound amazing. Deep bowl is the way to go with Ovations in my opinion. I have owned a Legend since I was a teenager (still have it) and was able to pick up a used Adamas in mint condition at a music store for under $900 US during the peak of our recession in early 2009. What a deal. I'm 100% satisfied with it. Wonder why they aren't more popular?

Thanks again for the video.

Hydroman52

neverfoundthetime

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:49 am

I remember the Ovations being very popular in the 80's Hydro, but they have died out since then. I'm sure someone here will know the story. Paco is the Flamenco player and he's a big name here over the past 30 years or so. You are so right about the speed of Al and John, wow! I saw Al in concert but did get bored by constant scale-solos at lightning speed... too many notes! I first heard this on CD and had fun trying to work out who was playing what. And they definitely went to the crossroads!

Hydroman52

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:36 pm

Chris,

I know what you mean about being exposed to too much of their (what I always referred to as) precision music. Kind of like watching my computer reboot over and over. But this Flamenco has got a lot of life to it and their technical skills really shine here. I like this stuff way better.

Paco has been a big name for 30 years? Can't believe that I haven't heard of him before now. What a waste. I thank you, my friend, for enlightening me.

On the Ovation question, I am so happy that they have fallen out of favor. Then the price drops and you can get better value for your money. It looks like they got a good trashing on the TG live show earlier today, too. I'm okay with that. Most of the objections that I've heard about them is that the back/sides are not solid wood, they are mostly made by machines, and they pump out a lot of them. You might have a hard time convincing any member of the audience at this concert that the guitar in the middle really sucked. But, in all fairness, what would they know about guitars? They're just being distracted by some high quality music.

One other observation that I didn't mention. There is a huge orchestra behind these three guys, and we don't hear a peep out of them. Do you think they are in shock and forgot to play?

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic