Amazing guitarist, anybody heard of him?

chacho

Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi all

I have been a target member for a long time now and always read the forums but rarely post for various reasons.
I am from England have just had a great Holiday (vacation ) in Florida with the family and did all the usual theme parks and on one night visited Downtown Disney.
At downtown there are numerous musicians playing on the sidewalks but I was memorized by a guitarist called Nicholas Marks.
I would call his music flamenco but his sound guy gave me his card which states he is an "Artist of Gypsy Guitar".
Has anybody heard of him or is he a well known guitar player in America.
Could somebody tell me if gypsy music is different from flamenco or are they both the same?

He has given me the urge to learn the old favourite flamenco " malaguena ". :)

[video]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhj1Kp8neKY[/video]

demond99

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:11 am

Very good and a showman, like it.
I am no expert but I would say there is no difference between Flamenco or Gypsy music.
It's just a description of the musical style but I did find this quote.
"Flamenco purists claimed that you had to be a Gypsy to do flamenco."
Perhaps Nicholas Marks is a true Gypsy?

chacho

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:49 am

I'll take the silence as a no. :unsure:
Anyway I thought he was pretty good.

Desmond thanks for the reply to the question, I think they have merged into the same thing.

Chasplaya

Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:27 pm

This guy is good, but a Gypsy Guitar sometimes known as a Russian Guitar is not what he is playing. A Russian guitar has 7 strings and tuned , generally DGBdgbd.

His style is certainly more Flamenco than anything else, I really like this kind of music thanks for posting it as I'd never heard of this guy before.

chacho

Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Chasplaya.
Seeing this guy live has certainly sparked an interest into this style of music.
I have never heard of the 7 string Russian guitar before and never knew it existed.
I think you are right about that he is playing Flamenco and when I google "gypsy guitar" the name Django Reinhardt keeps cropping up.
e.g
The gypsy guitar, known in France as the manouche guitar,
gained popularity in the late 1920’s. Played by Django Reinhardt
through the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s,
Is this a reference to Gypsy Jazz or again is this just a spin off from Gypsy music.
I'm getting confused with the term Gypsy and what with the Russian guitar thrown in, I think I'll go back to listening to Tom Petty. ;)

Could Chas or anybody else shed some more light on this for me.

Chasplaya

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:27 pm

chacho wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Chasplaya.
Seeing this guy live has certainly sparked an interest into this style of music.
I have never heard of the 7 string Russian guitar before and never knew it existed.
I think you are right about that he is playing Flamenco and when I google "gypsy guitar" the name Django Reinhardt keeps cropping up.
e.g
The gypsy guitar, known in France as the manouche guitar,
gained popularity in the late 1920’s. Played by Django Reinhardt
through the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s,
Is this a reference to Gypsy Jazz or again is this just a spin off from Gypsy music.
I'm getting confused with the term Gypsy and what with the Russian guitar thrown in, I think I'll go back to listening to Tom Petty. ;)

Could Chas or anybody else shed some more light on this for me.
I believe one of the main differences between Flamenco and Gypsy Jazz is that Flamenco guitar is primarily an accompaniment for Flamenco Song and Dance, Whereas Gypsy guitar is more Jazz orientated. Similarities exist inasmuch that traditionally both genres tended to be self taught and the music was passed on through generations and not written originally. Percussive hits on the guitar don't tend to be a part of Gypsy music although it is predominant in Flamenco. Jazz Manouche or manouche jazz is the french name given to Gypsy Jazz style

AndyT

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Here is a bit more for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_music

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic