Island Band for life

carpet

Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:51 pm

It's an interesting topic. What I've found generally or what I've discerned from talking about music with colleagues, who are all older than myself, is that whatever music was in your youth is what you stay with - as you said. Interestingly, I find (and even with myself) that everybody can appreciate and enjoy the music that was before their time as much as they can the music that they grew up with, but they can seldom look upon newer music with any appreciation.

It just won't ever grab their attention and speak to them the way things did when they were at their most open and impressionable. For many reasons, I think.

I've always loved the 60s ever since I saw a BBC advertisement for some upcoming nature programs that used 'I am the Walrus' as the soundtrack. I was 13 and I had never heard ANYTHING like that before. I was mesmerised and ate up all Beatles records my old man had. Then all things 60s.

I think the 60s must've been a very special time, an absolute quantum leap in culture. And you can see and hear it's effects still. It is the best decade for music in my opinion, because it's the father of (almost) everything that's come since.

The 70s were great too though, in parts - like Punk. I've never really got into the Eagles, but they obviously are a great band.

mark

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:03 pm

That's an easy one for me.

It would be the beatles every time with Pink Floyd coming in second

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic