Island Band for life

frybaby

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:33 pm

I got hung up watching Beatle tunes on YouTube after following some of the related video followed a posted Beatle Free Lesson.

I literally could not stop watching one song lead to another. What an amazing group.

I found my self thinking the Beatles are the best Rock band ever.

Perhaps I though I am slightly prejudiced by the fact that I came up listing to music in that era.

So I thought I would ask the question and see what others had to say.

I wanted to ask the question in such a way that only a truly great band would could qualify as the Greatest Rock Band Ever.

So here is the question:

If you were stranded on a desert island, from now to eternity, with ONLY ONE bands music you were able to listen to, Which band would you choose?.

carpet

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Toughy.

The Beatles is the obvious answer, cos they spanned a decade and spawned so many styles.
But they're excluded, right? Right now, I'm inclined to say Pentangle. But Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian, Stone Roses and The Smiths would all be seriously considered.

As I'm feeling now, it's Pentangle.

frybaby

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:53 pm

Carpet,
Thank for responding. I am of the opinion, as I believe Neil is, or was before Matt expanded his horizions, that the best music came out of the 60 and 70. Forgive me Neil if I am assuming too much.
I realy wanted to here from some of the forum folks on this on to see if I am in the majority on this belief.
I considered the Stones too and would most likely put them in 2nd place. I think the important factor to consider in answering this question is versitiity and in both sound and style.
I thank you too for listing a couple of new band. I gave Pentangle a listen, and while I very much enjoyed what I heare (only four song mind you) . I though that all the songs were vere similare in syle and if the female vocalist , though an exceptional talent and beautiful voice, if she does the majority of the singing I am afraid I would get guite bored after a while.
Would you agree?
I try to check out the other groups you mentioned, perhaps I can broaden my horizons as well.
Sincere thanks,
frybaby

dekotaj

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:01 pm

Oh gosh, now thát is a difficult one, but I think I would go for The Eagles! (Country-Rock)

(I have to admit, that I would like more Eagles-tunes on the site... :( )

sbutler

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:53 pm

When I lived in Kansas City, the local classic rock station did an end of the year poll every year, to see what song got the most votes as the best Rock song of all time.

Hands down, year after year it was "Stairway to Heaven" . I'm thinking that given the musical talent that Led Zeppelin possessed, I may have to vote for them here.

Scott

AndyT

Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:38 am

My first thought was Pink Floyd. But after some consideration, just give me a guitar and a tuning fork and I'll be all set. Hopefully the guitar would be a RainSong or a Composite Acoustic. Oh, don't forget the endless supply of new strings.

coomba

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:22 am

The Eagles for me too.

carpet

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:50 pm

frybaby,

yeah I do get what you mean. I think thats the danger with choosing only one band forever though. i think the beatles has to be it, just for the sheer volume of, and difference in, their music.

i also agree that the 60s and 70s produced the best music, even though I was only born in 85! The other bands I mentioned are more around my time of growing up. Can't i choose all the 60s compilation albums ever, instead of one band??

Chasplaya

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Whilst you cannot argue about the Beatles being great and having such a large discography. I didn't really grow up with them so I would most likely select the Eagles, they are another group that has transcended time and changed style with the changing line-ups.

So Eagles it is for me, with solar / wind powered player! Wouldn't 'Mr Green' Don Henley like that, very environmentally friendly.

frybaby

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:16 pm

Carpet,
Its a funny thing, I had a long talk some time ago with a some old friends that I hadn't seen is quite awhile.
Some local and some had move on to far away places. We came together for a friends funeral and began talking about a subject that we had all been wondering about individually on our on.
Basically we were trying to figure out why the friendships and bonds we formed as youths were never replaced by newer friends. Some how that conversation lead to realizing the same was true about music.
The music we listened to in our youth in all our cases was from the 60 and 70 and it still proved to be our favorite music.
We all had theories about it, but never really came to a unanimous decision why, but we all agreed it was true.
So .... make good friends listen, listen to good music, they will last a livetime.

BTW. Sone sugggestion on an Island Band I felt had merit were Eagles, and Zeplin, I alway love listening to those bands.
One I might consider at least for a secong place would be the Doors. oops there I go again sliping back into the 60-70. Oh well you will forgive an old man, won't you?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic