GOODBYE GERRY RAFFERTY

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:42 pm

Sad to say that Gerry Rafferty passed away today January 4th 2011 after a long illness and fight against alcoholism.

For me, many of his songs are unforgettable especially Baker Street, Whatever's Written in Your Heart, North and South.
Thanks for the fabulous music Gerry and may you rest in peace.

From The Guardian:
The singer-songwriter Gerry Rafferty, whose songs such as Stuck in the Middle with You, Baker Street and Get it Right Next Time soundtracked the 1970s, has died aged 63 after a long illness.

His family said he died at home peacefully with his daughter Martha this morning.

The Scot was born in Paisley, near Glasgow, played with Billy Connolly's folk outfit the Humblebums, and co-founded the soft-rock group Stealer's Wheel, before enjoying a successful solo career. Baker Street, released in 1978, was still netting him £80,000 a year more than 30 years later.

Rafferty endured battles with the music industry – once taking three years to disentangle contracts – and a problem with alcohol. When he was a child his mother would drag him round the streets of Glasgow, rather than risk his suffering violence at the hands of his Irish-born father, who would often come home drunk.

Although sure of his own abilities, Rafferty was fearful of working with stars such as Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney. On occasion his drinking would lead him to smashing cases of expensive wine.

He divorced from his wife Carla – who he met at a dancehall when she was 15 and married five years later – in 1990. She said: "There was no hope. I would never have left him if there'd been a glimmer of a chance of him recovering."

Rafferty, having once owned a Kent farm and a home in Hampstead, moved to California to be near Martha, before moving to Ireland in 2008 and later Dorset.

In recent years, he was better known for alcohol-fuelled incidents, apparent disappearances and poor health than for his music. His last album, Another World, was released in 2000.

haoli25

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks for the memories, Gerry.

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:18 pm

One of my favorite artists. Sad story..... :(

Thanks for the music Gerry. I hope you "Get It Right Next Time"........ :( :( :( :( :(

Rest in peace.

thereshopeyet

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:30 pm

Thanks

tombo1230

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:14 pm

When I was growing up in Paisley many moons ago, I heard about Gerry Rafferty from one of my pals at school. Gerry lived around the corner to my pal. I lived about two miles away from them both. I never met Gerry but I sure did enjoy his music.

Heaven claims another good musician for its band.

Thanks for the music Gerry. Rest in peace.

Tom N.

BigBear

Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:40 am

A unique talent sadly gone too early. The first time I heard Baker Street was on Armed Forces Network (AFN) driving down a cobblestone street in Frankfurt. To this day, every time I hear that song I instantly go back to that street. Weird how certain songs have such a powerful association to them.

I didn't follow his career so I missed all the contract and alcohol stuff. But I'll always remember him for that screaming saxaphone!

:(

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:07 am

I have some great memories of Gerry Rafferty's music. I play Island, Whatever's Written in Your Heart, Waiting for that Day and even Baker Street (without the screaming sax!). Today I'll be playing a lot of Gerry's music (the North & South album is playing right now in the background).

One memory comes to mind right now: Driving down from Sheffield in the North of England to Wimbledon (the first Saturday of the tournament is always great as all the best players are still there and you can get to see them on the outdoor courts and you can get second hand Centre Court tickets cheap later in the day). At this tournament (1979) I saw Borg, Nastase, Connors, and even BJ King and John Newcome (playing mixed doubles). McEnroe got his ass kicked off court by Tom (or Tim) Gulickson to everyone's surprise (especially McEnroe's!) on this day and I was caught in the crowd as they came off court standing right next to McEnroe who was visibly seething with anger. This was supposed to be The Year of The Brat ;-). Anyway, driving down on the bus with my tennis club friends we drove past Baker Street just as Gerry was singing Bakers Street on the bus music system ... perfect timing and it added to the fun of that wonderful 70's day.

willem

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:18 pm

Today i heard a song on the radio that got my attension cos it was train sounding(i like this sound in music),well it was GERRY,,

BigBear

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:50 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I have some great memories of Gerry Rafferty's music. I play Island, Whatever's Written in Your Heart, Waiting for that Day and even Baker Street (without the screaming sax!). Today I'll be playing a lot of Gerry's music (the North & South album is playing right now in the background).

One memory comes to mind right now: Driving down from Sheffield in the North of England to Wimbledon (the first Saturday of the tournament is always great as all the best players are still there and you can get to see them on the outdoor courts and you can get second hand Centre Court tickets cheap later in the day). At this tournament (1979) I saw Borg, Nastase, Connors, and even BJ King and John Newcome (playing mixed doubles). McEnroe got his ass kicked off court by Tom (or Tim) Gulickson to everyone's surprise (especially McEnroe's!) on this day and I was caught in the crowd as they came off court standing right next to McEnroe who was visibly seething with anger. This was supposed to be The Year of The Brat ;-). Anyway, driving down on the bus with my tennis club friends we drove past Baker Street just as Gerry was singing Bakers Street on the bus music system ... perfect timing and it added to the fun of that wonderful 70's day.

I always wondered where Baker Street was. So it's in Sheffield? Too bad the guy is dead before I get that figured out!

Thanks Chris!

Chasplaya

Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:28 pm

BigBear wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

I always wondered where Baker Street was. So it's in Sheffield? Too bad the guy is dead before I get that figured out!

Thanks Chris!
Check this out Rick its in London:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Street

He will be missed some awesome music in his time

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic