Favorite Album?

tovo

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Now I'm getting pretty narrow. What is your favorite album of all time and again (yes I'm a pain) Why? Notice I'm not saying "best" album of all time, just your favorite.

For me, I simply love "Rumours", the Fleetwood Mac breakout album that didn't have a bad song on it. I still play it very regularly and love it. I was deeply in love (or lust) with Stevie Nicks as well so that had an influence.

Over to you guys.

frybaby

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:17 am

Unable to make the call, so I list my two favorites
1.There Goes Rhymin' Simon
Paul Simon
Columbia 32280
Released: May 1973
Chart Peak: #2
Weeks Charted: 48
Certified Platinum: 11/21/86

2.Eat a Peach - a 1972 double album by the American Southern rock group The Allman Brothers Band; it was the last to include founding member and lead slide-guitar player Duane Allman, who was killed in a motorcycle accident while the album was being recorded.

Hydroman52

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:33 am

An impossible question again Tony! ;)

I'm gonna name two as well:

1 Deja Vu (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) Because I just grew up with it (it was my parents music), I simply loved all the songs, loved the harmonies and all the guitarwork..a gréat album is an understatement...it really is a legendary album!

2 Jesus Christ Superstar (the album, not the movie)...As a kid, and still I get goosebumps listening to it, I thought that album was musically just tóó fantastic, I only have superlatives for it.. I (and my sister too) listened to it like forever...it was because of the music, the amazing arrangements, the orchestra-work, the superb vocals...I absolutely lóved it all, memorised every word back and forth!

suziko

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:44 am

Tony,

I think this is an incredibly hard question! More hard for me than "What's your favorite song," for some reason. Maybe because there are so few albums that I like every song on! Every album I can think of has one or two "duds." Plus an album that I'm in love with for a while might not mean the same to me a few years later. BUT, since I'm a good sport, I'll give you an album:

Josh Rouse's 1972

Released in 2003, but channeling the music of the year he was born (my birth year too), 1972 is a lush sounding album, full of strings, horns, and flutes. It was Gen X's Moondance or Tapestry. It's an album I have listened to, from first song to last, hundreds of time, and I still come back to on a regular basis. I love its smooth, sexy, groovy, melancholy sound. It's also the ONLY Rouse album I've ever liked.

Here's the title song:

tom18

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:17 am

Tony,
Tough question but 'Waiting for Columbus' by Little Feat has got to be close to the top of my list. It got me through the rough patches during graduate school.
Tom Image

MarkM

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:23 am

Arghhhhhhhhhh.

One? Just one? I can't. It feels wrong to leave one or two out. More on that in a second. I think it has become more difficult to decide this question because of the advent of the Ipod and other MP3 devices. Where we all used to listen to albums back in the day with vinyl, cassetts or even 8 track to some extent, we now have playlists that we set up or actually buy individual songs instead of album. So with all that said I would have to say that I really have 3 favorites depending on my mood I suppose.

In no particular order.

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Bealtes. I love every song on this album and could listen to it every day. This would be the oldest, for me, that I've been listening to. If I left this off this list I'll feel like I'm cheating on it.

Neil Youngs Decade - Its a compilation double album that I bought at a used CD store back in college. It's got pretty much everything on it. From Helpless to Cortez the Killer. Sit me down with a bottle of Tequila and this album and I'm content.

Exile on Main Street - For me thier best. At the moment I can't get enough of this album. I'm driving 1200 miles this weekend starting at 1:00AM tonight/tomorrow morning and this will be played extremely loud. Many times I'm sure. This is just down in the gutter dirty. In a good way. After several cups of coffee tonight I'll be screaming the song Happy down the highway.

MarkM

Music Junkie

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 am

Tony:

Yet another of your difficult questions to answer....... What gives......... :P :P

Right now, since I am learning a few of the songs from this album that has been ONE of my favorites for a LONG time, I will say:

Jackson Browne's self titled debut album (mistakenly called Saturate Before Using by most of the world..... B) )

Track listing:
1. "Jamaica Say You Will" – 3:23
2. "A Child in These Hills" – 3:57
3. "Song for Adam" – 5:22
4. "Doctor My Eyes" – 3:11
5. "From Silver Lake" – 3:49
6. "Something Fine" – 3:47
7. "Under the Falling Sky" – 4:08
8. "Looking into You" – 4:20
9. "Rock Me on the Water" – 4:13
10. "My Opening Farewell" – 4:45

I am finishing up with "Something Fine", and am hoping to get a start on "Song for Adam" this year.

J

abiliog

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:24 am

Just one? Ok, Animals from Pink Floyd.
Can't name which song I like the best in this album.
Abilio

snipe

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Led Zeppelin II

Mike

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:15 pm

The impossible question. Well, if I look back on the amount of time an album spent on the turntable in the running is Question of Balance, Seventh Sojourn, To Our Children's Children's Children and Every Good Boy Deserves Favour all by the Moody Blues. If you really have to twist my arm then it's ...

Question of Balance

.... other favourites have been St. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Band on the Run, Summer Time Dream (Gordon Lightfoot), Dark Side of the Moon, Rumours, AMERICA, Year of the Cat, The Innocent Age (Dan Fogelberg), City to City (Gerry Rafferty), Out of Time (R.E.M.) ... ah, so many!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic