Favorite Album?

sws626

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:35 pm

Tough question, Tony.

I'm going to break the rules and name two albums.

The first one has to be Bob Dylan's 'Blood on the Tracks' which really shaped the way I listened to music when it came out and was the album I most wanted to sound like when I first started messing about with the guitar.

The second one is Eric Clapton's 'Unplugged' which started turning the gears in my head that eventually led me to pick up the guitar again as an adult.

-Stuart

lil40

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:22 pm

No hesitation here: Since 1977 the most incredible album: Bat out of hell, Meat Loaf!

Best lyrics, best melodies and BESTEST voice EVER. I was 8 when i first listened to it and I still remember it - even
though senile dementia is starting to set in :lol:

tovo

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:24 pm

lil40 wrote:
No hesitation here: Since 1977 the most incredible album: Bat out of hell, Meat Loaf!

Best lyrics, best melodies and BESTEST voice EVER. I was 8 when i first listened to it and I still remember it - even
though senile dementia is starting to set in :lol:
Ha, good one. It has strong memories for me as well. All my mates and I sitting in the back shed shredding on air guitar listening to the Loaf.

Chasplaya

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Oh Tony you have too much time thinking up these almost impossible questions. To pick one as my favourite is particularly difficult, I have a few Albums that I always return to after playing some other stuff to death and they are 'Couldn't Stand The Weather SRV and Double Trouble, then there is EC's Unplugged but most listened to would likely be Decade Neil Young; on the other hand it might be an Eagles then it would be Hotel California. Yet again in time it could be Rodrigo Y Gabriela's 11-11

Too hard too many good albums

dennisg

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:08 pm

Nilsson Schmilsson by Harry Nilsson. I've been listening to it for almost 40 years, and I'm constantly discovering new things in it.

Max

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:05 pm

This list doesn't include The Beatles, The Stones, Eric Clapton, or any other true legends of my era.
And since I'm not the first to break the rule, I'll name a couple as well.

Moondance - Van Morrisson
Carol King - Tapestry
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Steely Dan - Aja
The Doors - The Doors
Michael Jackson - Thriller, even though he was a legend.

Max

haoli25

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Like picking my favorite note. (C#, by the way). Too many great ones to choose from, but this one is always at the top of my list.

Allman Brothers - "Eat A Peach" Image

michelew

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:44 pm

Tony,

Way to go with another question that is impossible to answer, well for me anyway. But, I've been having fun checking out iTunes after reading all your responses. There are some very cool responses. My collection is growing.

Maybe I'm too fickle, but I don't have an all time favorite album that I can think of, at least none that is in my iTunes library now. Sure I've played albums over and over and over again, but they tend to change every year or so. Year before last it was Alicia Key's - 'Songs in A minor'. Last year it was probably Jason Mraz' 'We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things', but I doubt either of these will be my all time favourite if I look back in 20 years.

Although I had to smile when Ness said Jesus Christ Super star. Gosh take me back to the late '70's. JCS was really big in the early 70s in Australia and mum had the album to the Aussie production I think (which had some big Aussie pop names in it). From memory I got into it a little later in early high school, but I remember coming home from school and playing it in my room on my little turn-table (you know those things that had a stylus) and playing it over and over again. Even now my head breaks into "Everything's Alright' for no apparent reason from time to time. Maybe it's the unusual 5/8 signature. Mind you at that time I was pretty eclectic. I was also into George Benson and Prince. Yes, yes,... I was never very cool.

So, 'ain't got one. I'm pretty much a sponge at the moment.

M.

Lavallee

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 pm

To be linear with my greatest influence in music, I say Led Zeppelin3 (good choice as well Snipes with Led Zep 2). Zep 3 was quite different as Page introduce (to me , anyway) in the rock world all those acoustic sounds mixed with great blues, Gallow's Pole with the banjo and the mandolin. Of course Immigrant song, who does not know it.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:49 am

Harry Neilson is a cool pick Dennis, love so many of his songs and I checked out some more last night. By the way, I'm listening to Radio Paradise as I work (another tip from Dennis).

And Bill's favourite, note C# is post of the year in my book so far!! :woohoo:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic