A Great Guitar Player

chacho

Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi
I have just watched a live show with a guitarist called Martin Simpson who plays the acoustic guitar and banjo and felt I had to share it with you.
I was in awe of his guitar playing and just mesmerized all the way through.
He is technically faultless and the clarity and projection that comes out of his guitar which was made by one of Britains great luthiers by the name of Stefan Sobell was just breath taking.
He lived in America for 15 years which included New Orleans and Santa Cruz California and I wonder if Neil as heard of him.
He plays British, Afro-American and old-timey music which includes southern American versions of British Ballards.
He is currently touring Britain and will be touring Victoria and New South Wales Australia in March.
He has toured America and Canada the last few years so if any of you has seen him I would love to know your thoughts.

thereshopeyet

Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:27 pm

This guy is very good and he is associated with great British folk bands like Steeleye Span and Fairport convention, hadn't seen him solo before though.

Lavallee

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:42 pm

Wow, what a musician. this right hand pattern is quite intricate. I like his Traveling Blues version

Thanks for posting

Marc

reiver

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:58 pm

Martin Simpson is well known on the folk circuit here in the UK and won the Folk Musician of the Year award just a few years ago. I had the pleasure of standing ten feet from him as he played a set at Cambridge Folk Festival in 2009 and was completely awed by his ability. I've always considered him a solo artist and was unaware of an association with any bands although he does occasionally tour as part of The Four Martins, with Marin Carthy (folk), Martin Taylor (jazz) and Juan Martin (flamenco).

Stuart

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:47 pm

Whilst I say associated I don't believe he has actually played with them (Steeleye Span and Fairport), but has opened for both and played with individual members of both bands. You must have heard of the various iterations of the Albion bands which was founded by Ashley Hutchings of both Fairport and Steeleye, well he did play in the second line up called The Albion Dance Band

chacho

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:57 pm

reiver wrote:
Martin Simpson is well known on the folk circuit here in the UK and won the Folk Musician of the Year award just a few years ago. I had the pleasure of standing ten feet from him as he played a set at Cambridge Folk Festival in 2009 and was completely awed by his ability. I've always considered him a solo artist and was unaware of an association with any bands although he does occasionally tour as part of The Four Martins, with Marin Carthy (folk), Martin Taylor (jazz) and Juan Martin (flamenco).

Stuart
Stuart

Did you notice what guitar he was using at Cambridge.
The Sobell guitar he played was a thing of beauty and played like nothing I have heard before except Neils Claxton of course :) .
This one looked like a spruce top with a beautiful Brazillian rosewood back.

reiver

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:57 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Whilst I say associated I don't believe he has actually played with them (Steeleye Span and Fairport), but has opened for both and played with individual members of both bands. You must have heard of the various iterations of the Albion bands which was founded by Ashley Hutchings of both Fairport and Steeleye, well he did play in the second line up called The Albion Dance Band
Chas
I wasn't doubting the association - just declaring my ignorance of the fact. I haven't heard of the Albion Dance Band but I just read about them on wiki - wow, they've got a LOT of ex-members! I think you and I are on that list.

Stuart

emmagr

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:31 am

Chacho

I'm glad you posted that as he's one of my favourite guitar players of all time and so wonderful to listen to.
His songs tells a story but also has he has so many interesting stories to tell in between his songs as well that the performances are a delight.
The youtube videos does not do him justice but heres another one I found that I adore.

willem

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:59 am

Wauw, that was gréat! Thanks for the introduction!

Cheers,

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic