Jackson Browne - Solo Acoustic Concert

Music Junkie

Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 pm

Well, I have to start of by saying that I am one happy dude this fine morning..... :) :)

Last night I attended the Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic concert in Thousand Oaks, CA. The show was held in a small theater with amazing sound. I was really bummed that I had missed the first rounds of Jackson's solo acoustic tour a few years back. When i saw that he was heading out again, I bought tickets immediately. As my friends here at TG know, Jackson Browne is one of my absolute favorite artists. I have taken the time to learn several of his songs. Some I can do nicely, some I struggle with mightily.... ;) Anyhow...... I am sure some of you have seen photos or even YT videos of some of these performances, but to actually sit there and watch this show was truly a treat for me as a fan. First thing I have to say is that I really, really, really would like to have 18 guitars and a piano of my own to be able to play with.... It is funny to see all of those beautiful instruments up on the stage and very funny to watch him walk around picking out the proper guitar to play for the next song. He has no set list when he performs these shows, but rather plays what strikes him and often what people yell out. He is very comical at times as well. I must say that I hope I hold up half that well when i am 63! I can venture a serious guess that I won't... B)

Although he played MANY great songs last night, I was a bit bummed that "Something Fine" did not make it into the show. Oh well. He did manage to get "Rosie" in there which was hilarious. If you are not familiar with the song, you should listen to it and get the chuckle for yourself.

At one point someone yelled out for him to play an old song called "Shakeytown". He started to play it, but forgot part of it (he did not write this particular song). So one of his buddies brought out the sheet music to a roar of laughter from the crowd. Then when the music was in front of him, he had to admit, to his embarrassment, that he needed his glasses to read it.....another roar from the crowd. With everything in place he proceeded to belt out the great old song and crowd went wild again.

He also pulled out "Take It Easy" last night. This song was made famous by The Eagles, but was mostly written by Jackson with some input by Glenn Frey. The story goes: Jackson Browne wrote this for his first album, but he didn't know how to finish the song. He gave it to his friend Glenn Frey, who needed songs for his new band - the Eagles. Frey finished the song and the Eagles used it as the first song on their first album. So what was almost a Jackson Browne song became the first single from the new group the Eagles. Silly song fact... :P

Jackson played for 3hrs. It seemed like much less, as I was thoroughly enjoying myself. If any of you are fans of Jackson, and have not had the chance to see one of these shows, I would highly recommend it. Great setting to see an artist with a very impressive body of work. When I look back on his work, it is amazing how many songs he has done or been a part of.

Oh, and by the way, he is a pretty good guitar player. By his own admission, he is not a "Guitarist" and lacks in a lot of abilities, but I would surely settle for being as "bad" as he is...... B)

Sincerely (and still smiling broadly),

MJ

michelew

Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Wow MJ, you súre are one happy dude! :cheer:

I would have lóved to see that show as well, good for you!

Although, I have to admit that I only know his 'Running on empty'-album quite well, wich I find a gréat album, and of course Take it Easy.

However great to read this story, so thanks a lot for sharing!

Cheers you lucky dude! :P

Ness

btw I'd really like JB-songs on Target, now thát would be so great! ;)

mickm

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Man I'll bet that was an great concert. Solo acoustic to boot. There's just something about a guy and a guitar on stage, there's no place to hide.

Jackson Browne has always been one of my favorites too.

I saw him several times back in the 70's, once solo and a few times with a full band, but the one that I'll always remember was the Running on Empty tour.
After a great show and 3 encore's the house lights came on and the crowd started to head for the exits.
My wife and I and a couple of friends decided to just sit there and visit until the crowd thinned out. When the place was about 3/4 empty, the roadies are milling about the stage, house lights still on, out walks JB and sits down at the piano and begins playing the Loadout. One by one the band made there way back when he broke out into Stay

To this day when I attend a concert, after the performer has taken their final bow and the house lights come up I stay just a little bit longer.(It's never happened again)

Hmmm I think I'm going to put on Late for the Sky.

Mick

lueders

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:16 pm

M.J., (Makes me think of Micheal Jordan) Anyways, man it is really cool to see you all fired up about J.B.
He's one of those guys who was kind of an acquired taste for me. When I was younger I couldn't care less about his
stuff. But as I got older I really started to appreciate the one-of-a-kind talent that he is.
I've never seen him live but I saw him play with Bonnie Raitt one night on Leno's Tonight Show and I've been a fan
ever since. He is pretty versatile and underrated I think. Sounds like he is pretty decent human being too.

Glad you enjoyed the show!

jcrocket

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:35 pm

MJ -

That had to have been a fantastic experience, I'd be pretty fired-up as well. I've been a JB fan since the 70's, saw him live a couple of times back then. I really like the Solo Acoustic CD he put out a few years ago, I'm guessing that many of the same songs were done last night.

On the CD, someone in the audience yells out "do you remember Birds of St. Marks?", to which he replies "see, that's how it is now - they don't ask you if you'll play it, they ask if you can remember it"

Remarkably, he still has most, if not all, of the same great vocal range he displayed on his early work.

Jeff

cosmicmechanic

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:49 pm

M.J. , a great show, for sure ... I remember a comment Jackson Browne made saying he envied the Canadian musician Bruce Cockburn because "he can play guitar using all his fingers".

Of course JB did an encore, right ?

Funny, I remember when bands often gave two, and sometimes possibly three encores ... now I get the impression audiences don't even try for a second encore.

Is it that rare nowadays for bands to give more than one encore ?

Pierre

Music Junkie

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:11 pm

Ness: Neil put up a quick lesson on "These Days", you should check it out. Pretty easy song to play. I also enjoy the Running on Empty album, but His debut self titled album (sometimes called Saturate Before Using) is my favorite. I have been spending a lot of time on a song called "Something Fine" and love to give it a go. I have long way to go on it, but it is fun!

mickm: You are quite right. The entire show is him, his piano and his 18 guitars. I wish I could have seen him back in the 70s! I can imagine him coming back out and playing, as he is very personable in his shows these days, and he really seems to enjoy performing and playing to the crowd. The Load Out is a classic and for you to catch it in that way while the "Load Out" was actually going on must have been sweet! Play "Late for the Sky" loud man, cause it is a great song. "The words had all been spoken......."

Cori: I have been a fan since "Running on Empty", but did not really know his stuff til later in life. A good friend of mine is a huge fan as well. I was listening to some of his old albums and that is when I really got hooked. To go along with the threads on lyrics vs. music, JB is one that has some amazing lyrics. His play on words is second to none (IMO). He wrote "Looking Into You" when he was 17 yrs old! No way a 17yr old should have the capacity to write that.....lol Not enough life experience......

Jeff: I am chuckling to myself right now about your comment on "Birds of St. Marks" , cause I have that album and it always makes me laugh. In fact, when he had to get the sheet music and then ask for glasses, it was along the same lines..... I was amazed that the acoustics in the theater were so solid. The show sounded like a CD with such clear sound. You are spot on about his vocal range too. I was amazed by his range last night. Coming from someone who truly cannot sing, I am always blown away by those who can and have the courage to do so.

Pierre: Jackson is the first to admit that he is a marginal player, but his marginal would be fine by me. His comfort with the guitar is obvious as well. His buddy David Lindley is a solid player as well. Saw a concert with the two of them a couple of years ago up in Ojai for the Raptor Society. David is a talented dude in his own right. He only did the one encore, but double and triple encores do happen from time to time depending on the situation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic