What makes a great concert?

tovo

Sun May 15, 2011 6:08 pm

I must confess that this thread was born out of my embarrassment regarding my reaction to the video of Paul Simon in concert posted by Den. It got me thinking about the concerts I have been to and seen on DVD and on Youtube. I was thinking about how performances have changed. A favourite artist of mine who was actually a bit before my time in terms of going to see was Roy Orbison. He would come out, say hello, play, say thank you (when he received applause) and play the next tune. He appeared not to interact with his audience much at all. (Perhaps I'm wrong and someone who saw him live would correct me which is fine, really I'm only using him as an example). Another example is Elvis who was the showman of his day I think but would be considered quite mild in terms of performance now I suspect.

Contemporary bands and artists like U2 spend squillions on their stage design and special effects. Does this make for a great concert?

How about when your favourite band plays your favourite tune and plays it nothing like the recording? How about when they ignore the tunes that made them famous and play 'new stuff'?

OK a heap of questions there, but the key one is there in the title....What makes a great concert?

BigBear

Sun May 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Tony- I've been to hundreds of rock concerts but perhaps the best was Pink Floyd in Portland, Oregon in about 1976. This was the "Welcome to the Machine" concert where they had massive speakers placed at the very top of the arena, the Hari Krishnas in their pink robes were passing out flowers, everyone and I mean everyone, was stoned on something, the Pigs were hanging in the rafters and the place was just electric. It simply crackled. The energy was amazing before, during and after the show.

They had a huge round movie screen behind them and just put on an amazing concert. They started with the rumbling of those huge upper speakers and the sound of a 747 coming in right on top of us. That wiped out everyone who was on acid and the concert just got better and better.

I've seen The Rolling Stones (in BC), Led Zep, Journey, The Eagles, Jethro Tull and many more in concert but no one ever did it any better than Pink Floyd.

tovo

Sun May 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Great answer Rick. In 76 I was 12...so no chance to get stoned at Pink Floyd concerts. So was it the effects, the music, or the combination? ....

Surely not applicable to Pink Floyd but can awesome effects make up for less than awesome music?

haoli25

Sun May 15, 2011 8:33 pm

tovo wrote:
....What makes a great concert?

FREE tickets and strippers.

Bill

suziko

Sun May 15, 2011 8:36 pm

The concerts I've enjoyed best are at smaller venues, where the artists can really engage with the audience. Some that spring to mind are Ani Difranco, John Darnielle from The Mountain Goats, and Ed Hamell of Hamell on Trial. All three of these artists employ a lot of between-song banter. Maybe not shockingly, they're all also just an artist with a guitar and their songs are all seeingly very autobiographical (though probably not really as much as they seem on the surface). I think I really enjoy that illusion of intimacy with the performer, even though I know it's an illusion.

I haven't been to a really big show in probably 20 years, when I saw Rush. And in response to your "can effects make up for not so great music" I would say that Rush really does know how to put on a good show. They are the opposite of "intimate" and it's definitely a spectacle, with videos that are tied to the songs thematically and other special effects. I've seen them 3 times and they were all very exciting shows. That said, whether you like their music or not, there's no denying that the 3 guys of Rush are incredibly talented musicians, so I'm not suggesting that the effects are making up for musical shortcomings in their case.

Suzi

lueders

Sun May 15, 2011 9:59 pm

I am in complete agreement with Suzi on the small venue idea...

I saw Ani too, in what was basically a small metal barn-type Morten building in Bloomington, IL...across the street from a Farm supply store. (I heard later that she really likes the quirky venues.) It was an intimate setting. You could hear every word. And her interaction with the crowd was priceless! One of the best concerts I ever saw! I saw Joan Jett at an out of the way, middle of nowhere county fair that somehow managed to get quality acts. I was one of 15 people in attendance (Exactly 15! I counted! lol!) What a professional she rocked that pasture like it was Shea Stadium! I drank cheap watered down beer and had a blast! I saw Willie Nelson recently in Springfield, Il at a relatively small venue and it was great too! He sang and played his butt off, & was throwing out bandannas for two hours. Sure he combined some of his big hits into condensed medleys. But, I'll cut him some slack...the guy is pushin' eighty.Beyond that some of the best live music I ever experienced were up-and comers or no-name bands...
For me at least there is something more magical about the small venues. I like to be up close to see/hear what the guitar player is doing; and how the band interacts.

In my opinion, there isn't and never has been a concert worth $ 120 or whatever ridiculous prices people pay to go watch a concert with so-so sound quality...and then you are so far back you are basically watching a music video on a couple jumbo screens. Saw a double hitter with the Goo Goo Dolls & The Counting Crows in K.C. and it stunk something awful!

wammer

Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 pm

haoli25 wrote:
tovo wrote:

Bill

LMAO.............................BILL I've missed you baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

haoli25

Sun May 15, 2011 10:40 pm

I'm not kidding, Tammy. The last really good concert I went to was to see 'Def Leppard'. I did have free tickets and the audience was filled with strippers (off duty, I think). They were well-behaved (for the most part) and did keep their clothes on (for the most part). I would have got into LOTS of trouble otherwise. :) The band was good, the sound system was awesome, and there was lots of dancing entertainment in the audience. "Pour Some Sugar On Me" was incredible....and the band did really well too. :laugh:

Bill

tovo

Sun May 15, 2011 10:40 pm

haoli25 wrote:
tovo wrote:

Bill
And with that....Bill was back! :)

I definitely agree with you Suzi...an intimate venue can beat a huge stadium hands-down at times. I guess it feels more like the artist is playing just for you.

BigBear

Mon May 16, 2011 1:23 am

tovo wrote:
Great answer Rick. In 76 I was 12...so no chance to get stoned at Pink Floyd concerts. So was it the effects, the music, or the combination? ....

Surely not applicable to Pink Floyd but can awesome effects make up for less than awesome music?

You're still a puppy!! 12 years old!! Yep, it was the combination of all the excitement and then great music. I think meeting the expectations of the crowd guarantees a great show!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic