What makes a great concert?

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 16, 2011 3:57 am

haoli25 wrote:
tovo wrote:
....What makes a great concert?

FREE tickets and strippers.

Bill
Yeah, Bill is BACK! There's nothing like a great Haoli one-liner to brighten the day!

I've seen some really good concerts too. Elton John, Paul McCartney, Aerosmith, Tina Turner, The Stones, Pink Floiyd, Cher, Christine Aguilera, ELO, and they were all great shows. For show and stage performance mixed with good sound, Aerosmith is hard to beat. The Stones and Floyd were gigantic. I've sat about 9 feet away from Jose Feliciano at a night club concert and loved every minute of it and been amazed at the ability of Melissa Etheridge to fill an ice-hockey stadium with just a 12 string and her voice. but McCartney takes the biscuit... seen him 3 times and everyone was a winner. I guess it's his fantastic repertoire and his joy of performing and wanting to give a good show that does it. I was bored by Clapton and Celine Dion ... no spark ... and also got bored to death listening to Al Di Meola doing scales at a million miles an hour! Crowded House were ok as was Chris Rea and Neil Diamond. I was always sober, not stoned and didn't see a single stripper at any of the above mentioned events.... I obviously lack Bill's connections ;-).

willem

Mon May 16, 2011 4:18 am

OkE,the concert i prefer(not only)is a big show(like the wall by PINK FLOYD) I even go to musicals,,but love also the litlle concerts in a small theater or workshops,,,and i love when they do an encore(that make me think of an thread).

pbraun

Mon May 16, 2011 5:08 am

I have to agree with Chris about McCartney he has a way of drawing you in. Although he does the same routine in his concerts there is something about it that makes it special. I have heard the Hey Jude routine many times but it still gets me. I like it when they engage the crowd, explain the song and pull you in.
I've seen James Taylor and going again in 2 weeks and he does great at getting you involved!
Pete

AndyT

Mon May 16, 2011 4:08 pm

We just had a long retreat weekend at church and part of it was a live band playing praise & worship music. The retreat caps off a 12 week seminar and the band plays every week. But the final day they just cut loose. 'Bucka-loose' as we say here in Hawaii. They pretty much tossed out the playbook and just went with the flow. Everything was still in time, and on key, but they launched into more of a jam session style of playing. The energy that they let out was very infectious and brought the crowd right into the performance and everyone was moved by it.

That is what makes a great concert / performance. When the band / performer gives out an energy of sheer joy and fun that pulls the audience into it and makes them a part of it.

sws626

Mon May 16, 2011 5:31 pm

I'm definitely with Suzi and Tony on this one. I've been to a fair number of big stadium concerts -- Peter Frampton in the old Kingdome, The Who in Shay Stadium, Jethro Tull in Madison Square Garden, Paco de Lucia at some concert hall or other in Chicago, Bob Dylan at the Olympic Stadium in Munich, etc., etc. None is really an experience I'd want to repeat. The most enjoyable "concert" I've ever attended was Michael Penn's rehearsal for a radio show in an empty theater in Seattle. I think there were about four of us who talked the producer into letting us listen in. There was no direct interaction with the performer. In fact, I'm not sure he even knew we were there. But the combination of the empty setting and a performance that was not meant to be a performance at all is something I won't easily forget.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic