Show me a band I don't know

tovo

Thu May 19, 2011 1:24 am

Hey guys. I was sharing some links with a friend and thought of how much I enjoy being introduced to bands I have never heard of here on TG. I guess many of them fall into the category of 'Alternate' music....well some of that is pretty good. How about a link to one of your favourite obscure band and tell us all why you like them?

OK here's my contribution. I'll be surprised if any of you have heard of 'The Grates'. They are a 2 piece band out of Brisbane Australia. The lead singer is Patience Hodgson, known for her energy on stage. She is quite a looker, but the thing that really draws me to her is her attitude. She just has fun. One criticism I have of the alternate scene is that everyone is falling all over themselves to be too cool for school. Patience just enjoys herself and I like it.

Chasplaya

Thu May 19, 2011 1:58 am

G'day Tony, You probably don't know of this band; they are a Welsh band origins back in the late 60's, line ups changed like musical chairs going and coming back disbanding then reforming.

Any way crank up the volume

and their only ever hit single in UK, they were big in Germany of all places.

They were classed as prog rock or just Rock back then, they didn't go commercial whent hey had the opportunity buck stuck to playing the music they liked. Deke Leonard one of the two lead guitarists was one of my early inspirations to play guitar.

Here is a track from one of dekes solo albums

AndyT

Thu May 19, 2011 3:47 am

Here is one that likely nobody here has heard of.
The guitar player is a friend of mine from waaaaay back. Have not seen him in years though. His name is Jim Bizer. Great player. Does an awesome Hot Rod Lincoln. LOL
Jim won the Great American Songwriting contest a few years ago.

willem

Thu May 19, 2011 4:39 am

ANOUK just a great rockin chick (sorry girl i now you are a brave woman),,well she got some nice songs..

please watch some links too,,this are all great songs and acoustic playeble

abiliog

Thu May 19, 2011 8:17 am

Tony,
I can introduce you to these two portuguese beautiful voices,

Music Junkie

Thu May 19, 2011 10:17 am

Tony:

I found these guys through a forum I used to visit before it got shut down. They sound kind of "Alternative", but they were listed under a genre called "Lo-Fi" which I had not heard of. Since then, I have purchased all of their albums and thoroughly enjoy their stuff. Some of it is a bit off, but still good (IMO). I love to listen to them while on my drive up to the mountains. Especially when going through the desert...

Minus the Bear:

"Throwing Shapes"

"Knights"

"Hey! Is That A Ninja Up There?"

"Let's Play Guitar In A Five Guitar Band"

"Pachuca Sunrise"

J

lueders

Thu May 19, 2011 5:11 pm

Tony, I really like this post. I get excited about new band discoveries. And this gives us a chance learn about great music from all over the world that we might not of otherwise been aware of. (Maybe we outta do this every couple months or so.)

Here is a now defunct band that hails from Dennis's neck of the woods that are tight little punk band that is really full of some serious "Beatle-Juice!" Check 'em out, see what ya think:

sws626

Thu May 19, 2011 6:59 pm

abiliog wrote:
Tony,
I can introduce you to these two portuguese beautiful voices,

Sara Tavares seriously rocks. I'd always admired her voice, but just couldn't believe it the first time I heard her on the guitar.

jimcjimc

Thu May 19, 2011 9:49 pm

Not a band, but a guitarist, Jeff Linsky - I saw him years ago play in a hotel in San Jose, had a song "Up Late" that got a lot of airplay on light jazz radio a few decades ago - here is the top youtube video:

cosmicmechanic

Fri May 20, 2011 2:24 am

For the hell of it, here goes ... my eldest daughter's longtime boyfriend and partner is a pro drummer and guitarist.

In the following incarnation, he is a drummer ... (maybe more to follow)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic