Show Me A Band You Know But Wish You Didn't!!

unclewalt

Wed May 25, 2011 3:26 pm

That's true. You don't have to do anything except what is prescribed by law. Still, "don't argue with my lists of things I hate" is an interesting idea.

I forgot to comment on "Alone Again." Automatic revulsion is an understandable reaction, I guess. I probably would have hated it if I had heard it first when I was 20. But I was about 12, so I liked it. And years later, when I realized that it's all about a guy looking for a tower to fling himself off of and die, I liked it even more.

Music Junkie

Wed May 25, 2011 3:38 pm

Like I mentioned before, I am not making a bold statement that the song or the artist sucks, but rather I wish I had not heard of them.... :) Truth is, they made a song that played on the radio and I didn't..... They would probably laugh this thread and my choice of their song, because they probably made a ton of money from it..

You make a good point Walt, but I was just throwing out a song that just bugs me. To be honest, I really can't tell you why. I think I just can't stand the voices. Funny how that works.

There certainly would not be that many bands out there if everyone liked the same music.... :)

There are also those songs that I liked initially, but grew to hate because of the ridiculous amount of air time they received...... I am sure we could all think of a few of those!

J

unclewalt

Wed May 25, 2011 3:52 pm

I don't even know who posted which songs, and it doesn't really matter. Of course people have their own reactions to things, good and bad. I'm not sure why the proscription against reacting to them, but there does seem to be a vibe around here of "you can say anything you want, even if it's awful, but nobody is allowed to respond to it unless it's in a 'positive' way." Nobody has said anything awful in this thread -- just WRONG ;) -- but it surely has happened in the past.

Anyway, I just think it's more interesting to talk about stuff than it is to simply make declarations or create lists in a vacuum. Sometimes, that means a debate. It's not personal. If someone is bold enough to lay down a list of stuff they hate, I assume they're not so sensitive that they can't deal with someone disagreeing with them.

As for the concept of musical hate itself: I was in high school at the height of the punk era, so my cohort and I were more driven by our hatreds than by our likes. We defined ourselves almost more by our hatred of Journey than by our love of The Clash. It took me a long time to get over that, and now I just kind of ignore the stuff I dislike, and at the same time, my ears are much more wide open. So, for instance, I really like the song "Don't Stop Believin'" now (though I'm still generally turned off by corporate rock.) And what's more, it's partly thanks to Glee! If he were here now, my 18-year-old self would probably call me horrible names for this, but then I would have to kick his ass.

unclewalt

Wed May 25, 2011 4:11 pm

One more quick thought: maybe if this were more explicitly presented as "outlandishly goofy stuff" rather than "...wish you didn't," it would have gone differently. I think that was the intent, anyway. In which case, I doubt stuff like the B-52s, the Archies and "Afternoon Delight" would have made it here. But this would have:

Yep, it's The Brady Bunch singing -- very badly, even for them -- about Satan, Jack Flash sitting on a candlestick, and Charles Manson...

Music Junkie

Wed May 25, 2011 4:12 pm

unclewalt wrote:
As for the concept of musical hate itself: I was in high school at the height of the punk era, so my cohort and I were more driven by our hatreds than by our likes. We defined ourselves almost more by our hatred of Journey than by our love of The Clash. It took me a long time to get over that, and now I just kind of ignore the stuff I dislike, and at the same time, my ears are much more wide open. So, for instance, I really like the song "Don't Stop Believin'" now (though I'm still generally turned off by corporate rock.) And what's more, it's partly thanks to Glee! If he were here now, my 18-year-old self would probably call me horrible names for this, but then I would have to kick his ass.
LMAO :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I think that could be true for a bunch of us Walt! My 18yr old self would certainly be scratching his head and wondering WTF???????

We all certainly change as time goes by. Heck, I was in HS in the 80's, so hair bands were the big thing back then. I liked a lot of bands from that era. Though I still enjoy some of the music from back then, there are a few bits of it that I listen to and ask myself what I was thinking. Bon Jovi????? Really?????? :laugh: :laugh:

MJ

unclewalt

Wed May 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
unclewalt wrote:
I liked a lot of bands from that era. Though I still enjoy some of the music from back then, there are a few bits of it that I listen to and ask myself what I was thinking. Bon Jovi?????

MJ
Lots of people still love Bon Jovi. I never did, but lots do. I don't have all that many regrets like this. I liked mostly good stuff when I was in high school --mostly thanks to luck. I think there was more good music then. Or rather, it was more easily findable: There was plenty of good music in the 80s, but you sort of had to seek it out. For a while in the early-mid 80s, I was listening to a lot of Dylan, Bill Monroe and Lightnin' Hopkins, because I thought all the hip music was crap. Of course I was wrong and a couple of years later, I went back and discovered REM, The Smiths, Replacements, X, The Minutemen, and so on. Never did go in for the hair metal stuff, but I was a little too old for that. I liked Guns 'n' Roses OK, if they count.

In the 70s, I liked a lot of stuff that I didn't admit to my friends: Elton John, The Raspberries, Fleetwood Mac, even some Barry Manilow of all people. And you know -- they're all good! Even Manilow, now and again.

Actually, now that I think about it, I liked Kiss for a while, and Ted Nugent. I guess if I cared, I might be slightly embarrassed by that (especially given what complete dicks both Ted and Gene Simmons have turned out to be). And even they had some great tunes: "Cold Gin," "Stranglehold."

tovo

Wed May 25, 2011 4:43 pm

unclewalt wrote:

Anyway, I just think it's more interesting to talk about stuff than it is to simply make declarations or create lists in a vacuum. Sometimes, that means a debate. It's not personal. If someone is bold enough to lay down a list of stuff they hate, I assume they're not so sensitive that they can't deal with someone disagreeing with them.
I agree with you for what it's worth which is not much. Back to some very classy stuff. I imagine this dance style is still popular in the USA?

Music Junkie

Wed May 25, 2011 5:08 pm

unclewalt wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
unclewalt wrote:
I liked a lot of bands from that era. Though I still enjoy some of the music from back then, there are a few bits of it that I listen to and ask myself what I was thinking. Bon Jovi?????

MJ
Lots of people still love Bon Jovi. I never did, but lots do. I don't have all that many regrets like this. I liked mostly good stuff when I was in high school --mostly thanks to luck. I think there was more good music then. Or rather, it was more easily findable: There was plenty of good music in the 80s, but you sort of had to seek it out. For a while in the early-mid 80s, I was listening to a lot of Dylan, Bill Monroe and Lightnin' Hopkins, because I thought all the hip music was crap. Of course I was wrong and a couple of years later, I went back and discovered REM, The Smiths, Replacements, X, The Minutemen, and so on. Never did go in for the hair metal stuff, but I was a little too old for that. I liked Guns 'n' Roses OK, if they count.

In the 70s, I liked a lot of stuff that I didn't admit to my friends: Elton John, The Raspberries, Fleetwood Mac, even some Barry Manilow of all people. And you know -- they're all good! Even Manilow, now and again.

Actually, now that I think about it, I liked Kiss for a while, and Ted Nugent. I guess if I cared, I might be slightly embarrassed by that (especially given what complete dicks both Ted and Gene Simmons have turned out to be). And even they had some great tunes: "Cold Gin," "Stranglehold."
I don't think there is ever a reason to be embarrassed about whether you like something or not. To each his own. Just because someone else doesn't like it means nothing really. I am a firm believer in "If you don't like it, then don't listen to it"..... :)

My mom played a lot of easy listening or soft rock back then and I liked artists such as Barry Manilow, Elton john, Helen Reddy, Frankie Valli, Bread, etc. Then my dad listen to old country like Geroge Jones, Willy Nelson, Don Williams, Merle Haggard, etc. Overall they may not be my favorite artists, but there are some songs that I liked and still do and some that really bring back some great childhood memories. There have been topics that have floated around about what songs mean to you, or whether you like the music or lyrics, etc. Music probably means a little something different to each of us and thus the wide range of what is considered good or bad. I may not like something in particular, but, oh well..... I'll just listen to something that I do like.... :)

I will tell you that some artists that I thought were crappy as a teenager, I have grown to enjoy. Many due to my picking up the guitar and gaining a respect for the talent and hard work it takes to play a particular tune.

J

Music Junkie

Wed May 25, 2011 5:10 pm

tovo wrote:
unclewalt wrote:

I agree with you for what it's worth which is not much. Back to some very classy stuff. I imagine this dance style is still popular in the USA?

Oh Tony..... Why?????

I would agree that this song is one that belongs in this thread.... At least from my point of view.

Actually, his daughter is the popular one now.

J

neverfoundthetime

Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm

Yeah, Afternoon Delight was big in 1976 (I think) and I probably liked it then too!

Walt, there was no irony in the Sweet's stuff...t hey were dead serious! That's the problem :-).

For me G O'S songs were so bland or simply so depressing I couldn't listen to them although we got it 24/7 on the radio in England at the time.

I'm thoroughly enjoying trashing songs I can't stand and I'm enjoying everyone's suggestions.... including getting a bit embarrassed if I actually like one or two of them in an earlier life.

BTW, B52 Love Shack is one I really like and I don't mind MJ trashing it one bit.

Here's my next offering.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic