Show Me A Band You Know But Wish You Didn't!!

Music Junkie

Wed May 25, 2011 6:36 pm

For fun, I will go ahead and throw another up from one of my least favorite bands of all time.... Not quite as popular as "Love Shack" and, to me, even more annoying.... :woohoo:

I good faith, I must admit that even though I really don't care for the B-52's I can put up with them a bit more after a few coktails..... B)

J

AndyT

Wed May 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Justin posted my #1 with Love Shack. I have no idea why, but that song get on my last nerve and jangles loudly.

And here with what promises to be a point of contention....

The Doors. I can't stand them. While everyone is singing their praises I was plotting their downfall. Fortunately Morrison beat me to it. LOL I didn't post a song by them because they all suck the life right out of me. When ever I hear one I feel myself withdrawing into a coma like state which I can only avoid by smashing the speakers it's coming from.

unclewalt

Wed May 25, 2011 7:01 pm

It's true, Morrison dying was really, really funny!!! Um, "LOL."

Wow, I had not heard or even thought about O'Sullivan's "Get Down" possibly since the year it came out. I think that guy set himself up from the get-go by choosing that stage name. He seemed like an able pop songwriter, but he went way too heavy on the schmaltz.

Well, Sweet might have been serious and not really serious at the same time, kinda like Merle Haggard with his jingoistic songs of the 70s. I mean, Merle was stoned when he wrote "Okie From Muskogee," and he was making fun of people like the title character, but on some level, he also sort of meant it at the time. Anyway, at the very least, Sweet knew they were just latching on to a fad, and taking it further than it had gone before, at least in the upper reaches of the pop charts.

That was another source of potential embarrassment (then, not now) -- the soft rock hits of the 70s. I never owned any, but my mom had a lot of that stuff -- Paul Williams, Carpenters, Helen Reddy. I secretly liked a lot of it. Still like the Carpenters.

tovo

Wed May 25, 2011 8:09 pm

I love the Doors but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. Perhaps I'm just a frustrated flower child having missed that era (Born in 64 but a bit too young for the Whiskey a go-go Club! )

Here's a bunch of dudes that were huge in Australia in the 70's. Did they crack the US? Not if you were all lucky. (I suspect the lead guitarist is Chas before he emigrated to NZ).

haoli25

Wed May 25, 2011 9:54 pm

Bad music is not always a bad thing. An old friend of mine, Barry Hansen (Dr. Demento), made a very good living playing the 'worst of the worst' songs. I think the songs listed so far were much 'too good' to make his show. :) I have to admit that I like 'terrible' too. Some of my favorite old movies were some of the worst cinematic trash ever produced. If its an old Sci-Fi movie from the 50s or 60s, I probably liked it. When we are out with friends I always tell them, don't let me pick the movie. ;)

Bill

unclewalt

Thu May 26, 2011 12:42 am

Bay City Rollers were huge in the U.S. for a very brief period, with "Saturday Night." That's all I remember personally, but I just looked them up and found they went on to have a bunch more hits and gold records, though I guess not quite as big as "Saturday Night."

Chasplaya

Thu May 26, 2011 1:39 am

tovo wrote:
I love the Doors but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. Perhaps I'm just a frustrated flower child having missed that era (Born in 64 but a bit too young for the Whiskey a go-go Club! )

Here's a bunch of dudes that were huge in Australia in the 70's. Did they crack the US? Not if you were all lucky. (I suspect the lead guitarist is Chas before he emigrated to NZ).

Damn and I've kept that secret for years! Do ya like the hair and the cut off trousers?

Just a pointer this thread was not intended as a Hate vs Like thread rather as I said music that makes/made you cringe! A few have said they still respect the musicians and what they achieved and I totally agree with that. Back to the Bay City Rollers they were huge in the UK, but the truth was live they were not that flash. ONly Woody was regarded as a musician, hmmm Woody close to my surname.... ;)

tovo

Thu May 26, 2011 5:11 am

Chasplaya wrote:
ONly Woody was regarded as a musician, hmmm Woody close to my surname.... ;)
So was it straight after the Bay City Rollers Woody landed his role in Toy Story?

Chasplaya

Thu May 26, 2011 5:16 am

tovo wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
ONly Woody was regarded as a musician, hmmm Woody close to my surname.... ;)
So was it straight after the Bay City Rollers Woody landed his role in Toy Story?
Dammit Buzz you are letting out all my secrets

neverfoundthetime

Thu May 26, 2011 11:41 am

Thank goodness the Bay City Rollers get their most justified mention here... man they really wowed the 11 year olds at the time... and peed-off everybody else! The clothes were the most annoying thing about them.

Walt, I'm happy to join you in admitting I loved the Carpenters and still do ... Karen could really sing!
We called G O'S Giblet O'Sulivan.

MJ, the thing I love about the B52's is their unique sound and the voice of Kate Pierson... I loved it when she when she joined REM on Shiny Happy People... I'm just a sucker for red hair (just don't let Suzi know! :-)) and a fabulous voice:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic