Show Me A Band You Know But Wish You Didn't!!

dennisg

Wed May 25, 2011 1:12 pm

I happen to love Love Shack, too. But that's what makes the world go 'round.

But, c'mon, nothing gets worse than this:

dennisg

Wed May 25, 2011 1:17 pm

Okay ... worse than the Starland Vocal Band, worse than The Archies is this band: the 1910 Fruitgum Company. I mean, who can ever forget Yummy Yummy Yummy I've Got Love in My Tummy? Or this piece of, uh, music.

haoli25

Wed May 25, 2011 1:23 pm

They suck so much the vacuum can cause you to lose ideas just by watching the video........

dennisg

Wed May 25, 2011 1:32 pm

haoli25 wrote:
They suck so much the vacuum can cause you to lose ideas just by watching the video........

Haha ... I actually love this song. Even done it at karaoke 10 or 15 times.

haoli25

Wed May 25, 2011 1:34 pm

dennisg wrote:
haoli25 wrote:

Haha ... I actually love this song. Even done it at karaoke 10 or 15 times.

I would bet that your performance was 10 times better than theirs. :laugh:

Music Junkie

Wed May 25, 2011 1:50 pm

dennisg wrote:
Dennis and Suzi:

My wife loves "Love Shack" as well.... :laugh:

I think sometimes there are songs that may not be horrible in and of themselves, but they might invoke certain memories that are less than favorable.... B)

I can deal with the Starland Vocal Band, but once a year is usually enough. The Cowsills may have had a terrible song with "Hair", but how can one deny the artistic
beauty of "Love American Style"..... :woohoo: :woohoo:

MJ

tovo

Wed May 25, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm in the "Love the Love Shack" club as well MJ! :)

Of course, you could retort by admitting to us all that Bucks Fizz is your personal inspiration:

haoli25

Wed May 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
dennisg wrote:
Dennis and Suzi:

My wife loves "Love Shack" as well.... :laugh:

I think sometimes there are songs that may not be horrible in and of themselves, but they might invoke certain memories that are less than favorable.... B)

I can deal with the Starland Vocal Band, but once a year is usually enough. The Cowsills may have had a terrible song with "Hair", but how can one deny the artistic
beauty of "Love American Style"..... :woohoo: :woohoo:

MJ
Jason, I will admit now that many years ago, myself and another engineer added a secondary cue tone to the intro of "HAIR" and "The Rain, The Park, and Other Things" at an Oldies Radio Station. Each time the music rotation software would schedule those songs, the computer would simply go "NEXT". :) Nobody ever missed 'em. :) The secondary cue tones are usually placed in the outro to segue to the next song.

Bill (Society of Cowsill Haters)

unclewalt

Wed May 25, 2011 2:57 pm

I think I like more of the songs in this thread than I dislike. Some of them are favorites. And even most of the ones I might dislike don't seem particularly awful.

The B-52s? Really? That's not my favorite song of theirs, but jeez. It's the B-52's! I played "Sugar Sugar" at a wedding I DJ'd a couple of years ago. The whole place, from young hipsters to old farts, took to the dance floor like crazy people. Like "Yummy Yummy," it's a great, well-crafted, catchy tune. Similarly, "Afternoon Delight" is a fine pop song, though I might like the "Anchorman" version slightly better. Plus, it's about day sex - and how can you be against that? With "Ballroom Blitz," it might help to recognize the thick ironic sheen pasted over it - it's also a great power-pop song, if you strip away all the insistent androgyny and presentational foo-fah.

I tend to reserve my musical hatreds, when I have them, to the phony and the corporate - stuff concocted by soulless record executives, like much (though certainly not all) of what makes it to the pop and country charts nowadays. Bland, inoffensive, focus-grouped pap created not to bring good music into the world, but solely to bring money to particular peoples' pockets. But even there, it's easy enough to just not pay attention.

I'm going to throw down a couple of tunes I actually like a lot, just for balance. C'mon people, get out of that state you're in!

dennisg

Wed May 25, 2011 3:15 pm

I suspect this thread will encourage more people to respond if we don't argue with people's selections. We don't really have to justify why we hate a song.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic