Who are your favourite artists from THIS century?

sandysue

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:30 am

Haha, touchez!! :laugh:

michelew wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
I would love so as well, but there is always óne part in her songs that I'm like....'uh, the singing is way over my head, uh voice' haha! :P

willem wrote:

i would love to busk Anouk ,,i love the guitar and the singin...
Ahhh... so I'm not the only chicken.

You've got to know your limitations. And then sometimes you've got to do it anyway... like singing on camera.

Haha.

:P
Shel

willem

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:05 am

Haha, Adele indeed, oh my, can't belíeve I tried that!! :blink:

Thanks Willem, that's really sweet, I've missed all of you as well, lucky for me none of you went anywhere else! :)

willem wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
I would love so as well, but there is always óne part in her songs that I'm like....'uh, the singing is way over my head, uh voice' haha! :P

willem wrote:

i would love to busk Anouk ,,i love the guitar and the singin...

I geuss!!! but you did ADELE,,,I'm not saying you could do ANOUK,,,,,Mmmmm then we alll say..GLAD YOUR BACK ,WE MISSED YOU!!! REALLY !!!

lueders

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:06 am

Is that Vanessa B. I see? Thank goodness, I was going through Vanessa withdrawal already.

Musical favorites of the new millenium? hmmmmm? Besides Vanessa right?

Right know I am excited about Greg Brown's new album "Freak Flag" and speaking of him I discovered he does an amazing job in the recently released: Hadestown. This sort of thing isn't usually my cup 'o tea but what I've heard is amazing. It has Tom Waits seal of approval...(maybe not surprisingly.)

Hadestown is the fourth album by Vermont-based Anaïs Mitchell, and was released by Righteous Babe Records in the U.S. on March 9, 2010. The album follows a variation on the Ancient Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, where Orpheus must embark on a quest to rescue his wife Eurydice from the underworld. It has been advertised as a 'folk opera'.[1] Several of the songs feature singers other than Ms. Mitchell, such as Justin Vernon (better known as lead vocal and guitar from Bon Iver), Ani DiFranco, Greg Brown, and Tanya, Petra and Rachel Haden (referred to in the track listing as 'The Haden Triplets').

There have been so many great songs/bands that have emerged since 2000. Gary Jules cover of "MadWorld" is pretty hard to beat. When I get in art-farty neo-Talking Heads, art rock mood I look to franz ferdinand & modest mouse.I really like the magnetic fields, Blitzen Trapper & Black Prairie too...Geez there are so many I'm leaving out...If u just like a fun, loud garage rock song with fun lyrics check out Built to Spill's: "you were right"... see how many band references you can find...Half of the Target song catalog is referenced!!

dekotaj

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:03 am

Hey Cori, my friend! Well it's me indeed :) , you're sweet and making me laugh immediately again!! :lol:

lueders wrote:
Is that Vanessa B. I see? Thank goodness, I was going through Vanessa withdrawal already.

willem

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:48 am

Oh I closed Norah Jones in my heart,,they are not only blond it is the music i chase..

and this Caro Emerald,,she is very populair at this moment,,i like it too..

lueders

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Good Picks Willem!

Can't believe I forgot about Norah...Oh and I just remembered Damien Rice & Death Cab 4 Cutie...aargh their is just too many!

Cori

Hydroman52

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Michele,

My musical world is a blur,
You see . . .
Forgive me if these bleed into
The previous century.
It’s not intentional . . . .
It’s lack of brain cells.

Don’t mistake these words
For lyrics.
They really aren’t
They’re just written to
Look like that.

It’s practice
For what might happen
In the future
And it’s fun to do
And it’s all free, too.

Here are some groups/artist that I learned about in this century. I like some of their work, not necessarily all of it. Some may have been posted in a previous thread (sorry for redundancy). Included are a couple of links for those that are interested in the ones that may be less obvious:

Norah Jones
John Mayer
Jack Johnson
Maroon5
White Stripes
Corrine Bailey Rae
The Decemberists
Nellie McKay
Alexi Murdock
Lal Meri

Eleni Mandell

Dawes (This is becoming one of my favorite songs)

http://www.daytrotter.com/vi/dawes-conc ... 00058.html

Lauren O’Connell

Anya Marina

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/anya-marin ... 38056.html

My favorites at the Daytrotter session are Cut It Out and All the Same to Me. Here is the all-slicked-up-OFFICIAL-VIDEO for All the Same to Me (quite different from the basic raw version on Daytrotter):

The Trishas

Hope that is what you are looking for . . . . .

I’m liking a number of the ones that others have posted here. Lots of talent out there and it’s good to keep current.

Hydroman52

Max

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:42 pm

I seem to be stuck back in that other century, but here's one of my favorites from this century.
Jason Mraz

takhak

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:53 pm

THE TIDE by SPILL CANVAS

My son likes these guys. This one goes in the " sad songs " pile.

tovo

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:27 pm

I really like these guys. They have toured Australia a lot and are quite popular here. They seem to understand our sense of humour quite well and as a result they resonate with Australian audiences. Although I knew of them, I really discovered them when my 13 year old and his mates asked me to put their CD on in the car on the way to school. I didn't expect much, but found myself really enjoying the album:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic