Who are your favourite artists from THIS century?

michelew

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi y'all.

TG has been great (or dangerous depending on how you look at it) for expanding my music library. My most recent addition being Anouk. I may never have gotten to appreciate her music (or even Adele or the Decemberists strangely enough) if TG did not exist.

But, most of my library consists of music that was recorded, and even bands that stopped recording, before 2000. So this thread is an attempt to update a little.

We may have had this discussion before. But, I've forgotten so it must be time to have it again.

So my questions are these:

Who are your favourite artists from THIS century? And why?

I am particular interested in artists that started recording in or after 2000, but songs first released in or after 2000 will do too.

Time to ponder.

:)

Michele

tovo

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:09 am

Hey Shel.

I'm quite a fan of John Mayer, which seems to surprise some, or rather I sense that he is far from universally popular. His 1st significant album (Room for Squares) was released this century so I think he qualifies in this category. I guess his personal life draws some criticism, but I care little for what he does in that regard. I think he is a kick-arse guitarist and has been heavily influenced by Hendrix, SRV and Clapton. I rate him much more highly as a guitarist than vocalist actually. His credibility as the former must be pretty high with Clapton who has collaborated extensively with him. I can't see Clapton playing with just any old chump!

Chasplaya

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 am

tovo wrote:
[quote]Hey Shel.

I'm I can't see Clapton playing with just any old chump!

Dang Tony you've gone and ruined my dream!! Lol This is as close as I'll ever get, I was standing at the side of the stage at his NZ Concert in 2007 approx 30ft away

Sorry Shel don't mean to hijack but Tony just burst my biubble! I'll get my thinking cap on for ya though i'm an old rocker so don't really know much in the way of recent stuff, so maybe i'll learn something here to.

michelew

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:27 am

Tony, Thanks mate. John Mayer is very cool. Room for Squares, Check. Cool video. B)

So is John Mayer huge or is that a small guitar he's playing. (counting...)

Chas - maaaaate, neither of you are dead yet. There's still time. You just have to become GREAT. No pressure. :P

willem

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:36 am

You ask aand i don't really know,,some times i hear a song as ''hey there deliah''and i like it or ''soulsister'' even on this moment i hear a new song on the radio that i like,,don't know the title,,,so for me it are songs and not so an artist,,, even all the music before 2000 i must refresh my memorie,,this site inspires me to give songs a try and feel like an artist and refresh my brain,,it is terrible...

HI Michele..

michelew

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:40 am

Hi Willem. I SO know what you mean.

willem

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:44 am

michelew wrote:

I am really happy you like ANOUK,,,most of her songs are pretty just with one acoustic guitar,,,maybe Vanessa can help you out,,,geee what an great idea..

michelew

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:50 am

willem wrote:
michelew wrote:

I am really happy you like ANOUK,,,most of her songs are pretty just with one acoustic guitar,,,maybe Vanessa can help you out,,,geee what an great idea..
Willem, Given her awesome voice, just for the moment I think I'll stick to listening. She definitely does have some gorgeous songs that are suitable for acoustic guitar. They'd fit right in to my sad songs repertoire too. Ever played them yourself.

willem

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:18 am

michelew wrote:
willem wrote:
michelew wrote:

Willem, Given her awesome voice, just for the moment I think I'll stick to listening. She definitely does have some gorgeous songs that are suitable for acoustic guitar. They'd fit right in to my sad songs repertoire too. Ever played them yourself.
Yes i tryed !! ones,,only guitar pickins to accompany a woman,,just a study it never happend,,maybe i try it again you never know how the skills are on this moment,,i think the song was '''lost or ''sacrifice''

it was'nt ''lost'' but nice...

also not ''sacrfice'''you see its gone in my head..

It WAS ''I DON'T WANNA HURT''' glad i found it aagain

instrumental ''i don't wanna hurt''

michelew

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:36 am

'Lost' and 'Sacrifice' are definitely 2 of my favourites of her songs. Willem I think you may need to start a new busking thread. It seems only fitting that a Dutchie puts it up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic