Anyone seen the Beatles play live?

Hydroman52

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:27 am

A while ago, I was talking with a friend about music. We got on the inevitable topic of who we had seen perform live, and she said that she saw the Beatles. I was a bit stunned because I never knew anyone who has actually seen a Beatles concert. As I recall, she had been in junior high school when she entered a contest in which a radio station was giving out a pair of tickets to see the Beatles in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (USA). I am unsure of the date, but I'm guessing it was in 1964. She said that she found out that she was the winner when the school principal interrupted classes with an announcement that she had won and would be excused from school that day. Of course, she was an instant celebrity and she chose her best girlfriend to go with her. After she described the trip to the concert, I asked how was the music to which she replied, “I don’t know . . . . . there was too much screaming!”

So, here is my question to you. Have you, or anyone you’ve personally known, seen the Beatles live in concert? Don’t bother with solo performances or anything after the breakup. Just about every one that I know has seen one or another of the Beatles play live at some point in their life. I’m just talking about the entire group together.

Of course, if you were up on the roof during the 1969 Apple Studio rooftop concert, you get brownie points.

Hydroman52

willem

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Nope,only on the telly,,i heard the screaming too,,now you know why i try to learn the beatles song.. and i think that 's why Vanessa is such a huge Elvis fan..

wrench

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Yes, my older sister saw them in Baltimore in 1964. I rode in the car with my dad to take her and her friends to the Baltimore Civic Center. Biggest, loudest mob scene I ever witnessed. She had no voice for a week. Everytime I asked her what the concert was like, she just sceamed some more. She was 15 and I was 10 at the time.

pbraun

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Sadly no. But interesting that I entered that same contest in Milwaukee, it was 1964. I did not win the tickets but I did win an autograpghed album that I still proudly hang on the wall, a real piece of art on my mind. By the way, the contest was to sing a Beatles song we my brother 2 friends and myself fashioned cardboard guitars and drums and sang ! Saw her standing there. Sounded as bad as I do today but at least I have the signed album!
Pete

Hydroman52

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Willem - I was a bit young for me to have been permitted by my parents to go to a concert at that time. Actually, I would have been more interested in outdoor stuff like fishing, hunting, swimming, and that kind of stuff while they were still touring. Don't know how old you are, but it looks like Europeans had a much better chance of seeing them. Check this out:

Beatles tour dates

Wrench - That's a great story. Your Dad must be a neat guy. Do you and your sister ever talk about it? Does she still scream?

Pete - I haven't seen my friend in a while. Could you tell me a little more about the contest? What radio station? Where did you go to sing the song? My friend would be thrilled to hear about someone else who entered the contest the next time I bump into her.

Hydroman52

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:46 pm

Pete,

One more thing . . . . . I would be very interested in seeing a photo of your pride and joy autographed album. Might it be possible to post one here or email?

Hydroman52

wrench

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:53 am

Hydroman52 wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Wrench - That's a great story. Your Dad must be a neat guy. Do you and your sister ever talk about it? Does she still scream?

My sister and I never mentioned it again after a couple of years, but about 15 years later, I ran into one of the girls who rode in the car with us. I asked her if she was still screaming over the Beatles, and she teared up. I don't know what those boys had, but it was effective.

pbraun

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:06 pm

I hope this photo works, I tried attaching a photo once before and it didn't work so if it is empty, let me know how to do it, and I'll try again.

If the picture is there you'll see it is the Hard Days Night album. Pretty beat up, didn't realize what I had at 10 years old, but I can tell you I know every scratch and skip on the LP!
The contest I was in to win this or the tickets was on the "Pops" kid show. I can't remember if there was more to the name of the show, he was based in Milwaukee. He was coming to a shopping center near us and was holding this contest. I don't remember if there was a radio show connected to it or not. Anyway, we sang I Saw Her Standing There. Once with the original lyrics and then some made up ones ( I'll never dance with my Mother is about all I can remember) both were lousy I'm sure but it worked. Anyway it paid off.
I would say that to see them together would have been the best, but the would only be in my head today. The autograph album is something that I treasure and the memories associated with it, it will go to my grandson one day. He grew up listening to the Beatles with me, has been to 2 of Pauls concerts, and has taken road trips to see tribute bands with me. Now at 13, he is not quite as involved in them but he sure was when he was younger.

Hope the photo will post, if not let me know how and I'll try again.
Pete

willem

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:19 pm

pbraun wrote:
I hope this photo works, I tried attaching a photo once before and it didn't work so if it is empty, let me know how to do it, and I'll try again.

If the picture is there you'll see it is the Hard Days Night album. Pretty beat up, didn't realize what I had at 10 years old, but I can tell you I know every scratch and skip on the LP!
The contest I was in to win this or the tickets was on the "Pops" kid show. I can't remember if there was more to the name of the show, he was based in Milwaukee. He was coming to a shopping center near us and was holding this contest. I don't remember if there was a radio show connected to it or not. Anyway, we sang I Saw Her Standing There. Once with the original lyrics and then some made up ones ( I'll never dance with my Mother is about all I can remember) both were lousy I'm sure but it worked. Anyway it paid off.
I would say that to see them together would have been the best, but the would only be in my head today. The autograph album is something that I treasure and the memories associated with it, it will go to my grandson one day. He grew up listening to the Beatles with me, has been to 2 of Pauls concerts, and has taken road trips to see tribute bands with me. Now at 13, he is not quite as involved in them but he sure was when he was younger.

Hope the photo will post, if not let me know how and I'll try again.
Pete

Well Pete,you see no picture there,,,can you tell me with what did you make the picture,,use the lowest format or make it an other format in windows paint or something,,hope it works.

pbraun

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Well I am an idiot on the pc. I still can't put this picture in the message but I did change my profile photo to the picture of the album
Pete

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic