Underated Guitarists

Chasplaya

Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:05 am

Robin Trower formerly Procul Harmen , greatly underestimated IMHO, what a blues player this guy is.

Chasplaya

Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:16 am

After a lifetime of playing the blues hes been nominated for best British Blues guitarist vote here if you agree he's cool

http://www.britishbluesawards.co.uk/vote.htm

Chasplaya

Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:33 am

From the album of the same name: Bridge Of Sighs

cabro

Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:04 am

Saw Mr. Trower at a large venue back in the mid '70's with Head East and Montrose and again at a small club around '87. The little skinny guy sure can play.

dennisg

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:21 am

I've never been much of a John Mayer fan, but I read an article about him not long ago, and it mentioned how hard he works at his craft. Gotta appreciate that. Anyway, here's a good example of his hard work on this Jimi Hendrix cover. He absolutely rips this song.

snipe

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:25 am

Ahhhhh Yessss,,,, Bridge of Sighs.......

Really awsome stuff!!!!!!

Mike

lueders

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm with you on Robin Trower, Chas. I am not familiar all of it. But what I have heard is pretty tasty stuff!

In my opinion, the most underrated guitar player without question is Buddy Guy. I mean it is down-right criminal! The following is an excerpt from an article I found:

In 1967 Buddy Guy put out the only album he ever released under the Chess label – I left My Blues in San Francisco. In my opinion one of his best albums. Its a blues album with soul INSIDE of it..crazy i know. Buddy Guy is an extremely underrated guitarist – no one gives Buddy any love! Why don’t you people like Buddy? Everyone tends to focus on Stevie Ray, Hendrix, Clapton when they talk about guitar gods but Buddy should be in that conversation! In many ways Buddy Guy has more rock star in his pinky finger than Clapton has in his whole arm. Clapton wishes he could play like Buddy, wishes he sang like Buddy, and he wishes he dominated the room like Buddy. If you think that’s a crazy bold statement consider this: “Buddy Guy was to me what Elvis was for others.” – Eric Clapton.

Buddy still till this day plays a few times a month at his blues club, Buddy Guys Legend’s in Chicago and even when he’s not gracing the stage with his presence he can be found in the audience at his table. People have said they’ve even seen him walking nonchalantly down he street with his signature Fender Strat slung on his back. I could give you a two song sample so unfortunately you’ll have to listen to the two and take my word that the rest is gold. Buckle up and hold on to your hat because this album rocks you straight to your soul from start to finish.

Here's some quotes I thought were quite telling:

Eric Clapton said "Buddy Guy was to me what Elvis was for others." Clapton said in a 1985 Musician magazine article that "Buddy Guy is by far and without a doubt the best guitar player alive...if you see him in person, the way he plays is beyond anyone. Total freedom of spirit, I guess. He really changed the course of rock and roll blues."

Recalls Guy: "Eric Clapton and I are the best of friends and I like the tune "Strange Brew" and we were sitting and having a drink one day and I said 'Man, that "Strange Brew"...you just cracked me up with that note.' And he said 'You should...cause it's your licks..

Jimi Hendrix himself once said that "Heaven is lying at Buddy Guy’s feet while listening to him play guitar."

Stevie Ray Vaughan once declared that Buddy Guy "plays from a place that I've never heard anyone play." Vaughan continued:

Buddy can go from one end of the spectrum to another. He can play quieter than anybody I've ever heard, or wilder and louder than anybody I've ever heard. I play pretty loud a lot of times, but Buddy's tones are incredible. He pulls such emotion out of so little volume. Buddy just has this cool feel to everything he does. And when he sings, it's just compounded. Girls fall over and sweat and die! Every once in a while I get the chance to play with Buddy, and he gets me every time, because we could try to go to Mars on guitars but then he'll start singing, sing a couple of lines, and then stick the mike in front of me! What are you gonna do? What is a person gonna do?!

Vaughan stated that, "Without Buddy Guy, there would be no Stevie Ray Vaughan."

Here in this video, INMHO...he plays Muddy Waters better than Muddy Waters

Lavallee

Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:37 pm

I discovered Buddy Guy recently because I have Sirius Radio and they have that station call Bluesville with BB King. They play his stuff every 2 hours or so. I always crank up the volume, a real treat.

Thanks Cori for bring him up front

Marc

Chasplaya

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:00 am

Definitely agree about Buddy Guy being underrated . A real bluesman

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:18 am

Hey Chas,

Thanks for this "roll-in-it" long performance by Trower ... sooo glad to see him again ... a real treat.

This led me to wonder how old he is ... guess what ... both he and Eric Clapton were born in March 1945 !

Robin Trower was born on the 9th, Eric Clapton on the 30th.

CRIPES ! ... they sure ain't got the same DNA ... wonder who lived the hardest between them ?

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic