Stevie Nicks

AndyT

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:53 am

I don't watch much TV ('Telly' for you blokes on the other side of the pond LOL), but I caught an episode of Americas Got Talent and Stevie was a guest performer.

I loved Stevie back in the day. Her voice was smooth and tickled the male hormones in a special way. But her performance on the show was nothing like I remembered her. Granted, she is a fair bit older, but overall, it had an amateurish quality to it that just didn't sit well.

Perhaps more than a fair share of the blame should be on the soundman. The mix was horrible. I could hardly hear the keyboard, there was no compression on her voice, I couldn't even hear the rhythm guitar.... I'd fire the guy, or at the very least have a serious chat with him about it.

The whole performance left me sad which is not what the music intended I'm sure.

AndyT

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:55 am

And wouldn't you know it, I found both songs she did on YT.

willem

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:56 am

andyt wrote:
I don't watch much TV ('Telly' for you blokes on the other side of the pond LOL), but I caught an episode of Americas Got Talent and Stevie was a guest performer.

I loved Stevie back in the day. Her voice was smooth and tickled the male hormones in a special way. But her performance on the show was nothing like I remembered her. Granted, she is a fair bit older, but overall, it had an amateurish quality to it that just didn't sit well.

It may had had more than a fair share of the blame on the soundman. The mix was horrible. I could hardly hear the keyboard, there was no compression on her voice, I couldn't even hear the rhythm guitar.... I'd fire the guy, or at the very least have a serious chat with him about it.

The whole performance left me sad which is not what the music intended I'm sure.

Life aint easy Andy,,just drop it out your mind and remember only the great moments,,,,lo

EDIT: AFTER LISTEN TO YOUR VIDS I FIND SHE STILL ROCK AND ROLL,,,A SOLIST CAN DO THAT I THINK,,,I SMOKE TOO BUT I REALLY WANNA QUIT 'COS IT ANIT GOOD FOR THE EARS TOO..

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:04 am

Well mate if its any consolation I saw her live 2 years ago and she still did it for me, sang beautifully ,and danced like she always has and she has a few years on me too lol

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:29 am

Andy, do you need a couple of uppers in your coffee today? ;-)
I thought Edge of 17 was performed pretty good ... after all she's someone's grandma by now!
I could hear the cigarettes in her voice on For What its Worth though which did come over a little flat on the feeling side of things.

EDIT:
And wouldn't you know it, I found both songs she did on YT.
Oh and BTW, If it's not on you tube, it didn't happen!

BammBamm22

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:07 am

Hello do you remember what network carried that show, i would like to see it as well thanks BBg

suziko

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:44 am

I'm with Chris- I really didn't think Edge of Seventeen was all that bad!

Hydroman52

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:10 am

If you have seen or listened to other artists (past and present Karla Bonoff, Keith Richards, Everly Borthers, Linda Rhonstadt, Carol King, James Taylor, Warren Zevon, Bonnie Rait, and on and on) besides Stevie Nicks, you will probably recognize her guitarist in these videos as Robert “Waddy” Wachtel (guitarist with long curly blond hair to Stevie’s right). I first remember hearing him on Karla Bonoff albums. His sound was so unique and just so cool that I was compelled to check out the musician credits on the back of the (vinyl) album so I would always remember his name. Many of my subsequent music purchases were heavily influenced by the fact that he was playing on them, because I knew that he would add that musical quality to the guitar playing that I enjoyed. His looks haven’t changed in 30-some years and he is still easily recognizable on stage when he is just playing rhythm or some other style other than his own.

If you are interested in more information on Waddy, go here and be sure to step through the different decades to see just how amazing this guy really is:

Waddy Wachtel history

Here is where I first heard his style (scroll down to the videos of the music to hear what I heard):

Waddy on Karla Bonoff album

Shortly after hearing this album, I tried to get tickets at the gate of a Karla Bonoff concert in Tampa, Florida (found out about the concert on the day of the show). Sadly, all tickets were sold out and not one scalper could be found anywhere. So, my girlfriend and I spent the evening commiserating at a nearby peanut bar (you know . . . . the ones where they bring you bowls of free peanuts in the shell with your drinks and you just throw the shells on the floor . . . . very crunchy under foot) and played all the Karla Bonoff tunes that they had on the jukebox.

And just so you don’t think that I’m hijacking Andy’s thread about Stevie Nicks, go here, check out the credits on this single, and hear a very young Stevie singing background vocals (just for the record, I don't particularly care for this single):

A young Stevie Nicks sings background for Waddy

My opinion on the two videos that Andy posted here:

The first one (the new one) I found a bit bland and not good for my tastes in music.

The second one would have gotten me out of my seat and jumping around if I were there. Lots of good energy here!

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic