>> Live Show CHANGE Open To Everyone!!! Today Noon PST California Time

dekotaj

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Neil-Would like to no if when your talking about targeting you picking is this for bass notes or should one be doing this while strumming also???I seem to keep no top when strumming.

Kevin

Lavallee

Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:33 am

I will not be able to watch the live version as I will be in a bloody plane again on Saturday. I will watch the rerun.

The question I would like to ask is regarding counting when playing. It is probably trivial to most of you, but as soon as I get away from a simple up and down strumming, In just cannot count. I know the metronome could be use and there is no problem with it. But without it I get lost easily. So I was wandering if there could be a lesson on that where it could start counting with a simple strumming and then work on more elaborate strummings counting loud. Maybe the is a trick I do not know. Anyhow , this would help me progress.

Marc

michelew

Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:31 am

I've already posted a question and I realise that this one is probably too far down the list to get to.

My barre chords are improving slowly. But, my E7-shape barre chords still suck. The 4th string is generally muted. In order to ensure the string sounds properly I need to raise the barre (haha) so that my nail is more than 1cm above the neck. I'm doing the turn the finger thing so it is sort of on the side or plane between the side and inside of the finger.

My question is does it really need to be that high or is there something else that I'm missing?

I find it more awkward to make the chord shapes with my remaining fingers when it's that high. Do I just need to stick with it until get used to it?

And if it i the right way to go should I be doing that with all the barre-chord shapes?

OK - make that 3 related questions.

thanks

Michele

Hydroman52

Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:23 am

When you feel that you are playing too many notes or strums in a song and it is getting too complicated, garbled, and confusing, how do you simplify it to make it sound more interesting? What gets tossed?

I’m not sure how to ask this next question . . . . it has more to do with song writing and theory than technique, and may be too involved to answer in the live show. When writing a song, are there some basic “dos and don’ts” of keys, chords, or chord progressions to use to show different emotions to match the lyrics? For example, if you want to write a happy, uplifting song, you might want to stay away from minor chords and blues scales. If your lyrics are asking a question, you may want to consider using certain types of chords or progressions.

Could you explain the use of “tension” chords? Where and why they are used? How do they tie into the lyrics?

Thanks,
Hydroman52

TGMike

Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:36 pm

IMPORTANT CHANGE PLEASE READ

LIVE SHOW NOW OPEN TO PUBLIC

LOCATION HAS CHANGED TO ATTEND SHOW

To attend without having your usrname show go to :

To attend and chat with your username showing:
1. Go to UStream. http://www.ustream.tv
2. Make an account same as TG username by clicking Sign Up in upper right next to Broadcast Now green button.
3. Go to our Stream Channel.

To update your username once in our room in UStream type /nick username Example: /nick greenplayer. If you are logged into UStream though your username created at UStream should show.

We hope to see you all there.

Thanks,
TG Team

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic