>> Live Show CHANGE Open To Everyone!!! Today Noon PST California Time

tovo

Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:58 am

I recently read of a suggested technique for getting a high tempo tune under control.

I know the conventional wisdom says learn it, play it slow and correct, then gradually speed up.

This article didn't suggest that the "conventional wisdom" is wrong. But it did suggest that at a point where the player has the pattern and progression down, that playing the tune at a tempo much higher than the "correct" tempo can help. Obviously the theory being that having played at an extremely high tempo, it's easier (or seems so) when the player drops back to the "correct", albeit still fast tempo.

Long question I know, but does Neil see any value in that approach?

michelew

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:22 am

Neil,

I'd like to know whether there's an easy way to get started with hybrid picking. For example, is there an exercise to help us get use to the feeling of using a pick and finger picking, which feels so strange.

Are there any songs in the library that use and illustrate the technique?

Thanks.

Michele

jimbo58

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:54 am

Hi,
My question is does Mike have a suggestion for a regular finger picking exercise to do on a regular basis as a warm up or drill to keep finger picking fit?
thanks
Jim

Hydroman52

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:33 am

Any tips on being consistent on getting a complete mute for a “dead silence” in a song? I am having a little trouble coming to an accurate complete stop and getting restarted. Here is an example when it sounds okay (at 4:20 and 4:30 into the song):

Example at 4:20 & 4:30 here

I explained how I am doing this to another TG member later in the thread as “I do this with a complete palm mute with my right hand between the bridge and the sound hole. As my hand comes down for the mute, I land the pick on the lowest string (the fourth string) of the next chord to be played after the pause. That way, there is complete silence and I am in position for the hard downward strum that follows the pause. As I hit the statement chord out of the silence, there needs to be a lot of energy directed into the downward strum to give it the volume and speed that puts you back into the rhythm of the song. When it doesn’t work, it still sounds good, but, when it works, it sounds great.”

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hydroman52

dtaylor

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:06 am

Any tips or cheats for landing on tricky chord shapes?

I'm working on Tears in Heaven and have trouble with the first bar E/G#.

I'm sure it comes with hours of practice, but are there any general principles which can be applied across the board?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When finger-picking should you usually let notes ring as long as possible or kill notes if you can. Or are there no rules on this?
I know from the tab notation where specific notes are allowed to ring, but if you are picking one chord for a measure should you always let everything ring?

Dean

unclewalt

Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Neil, my main point was simply that raising the question seemed fair, but that getting upset about the current ratio didn't. I don't really have anything more to say on the subject. To clarify, though -- the "official" response I referred to was this:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/155 ... html#84588

reiver

Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm trying to improve my quick strumming technique - more specifically the quick triple strum that starts some bars where rather than a simple down stroke - it's a D-U-D. It seems tempting (though wrong!) to make it an U-D-U because the recovery from the final downstroke of the previous bar to the first downstroke of the triple D-U-D strum seems rushed. Any advice on helping to improve? Can some of the strokes be shortened?

Stuart

TGMike

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi Everyone,

The first post in this thread now has the instructions link to attend the live show for TARGET Members.

Here is the link again: Click Here

See you there!

Thanks,
Mike

sbutler

Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Neil, this past week, we had a member submit a little electric solo work on While my Guitar gently weeps. (one of my favorites). I went back to review the lesson, since I hadn't looked at it in a while. Low and behold, there in the preview, you've been QUOTED as saying, "I'm coming out soon with an acoustic solo version of this song". Gotcha.

Now so far, I've been really impressed with your getting around to a ton of the lesson on the suggest a lesson link, and you probably didn't forget this comment, so my only intent here is just to give you a gentle reminder of that bait you tossed at us months ago.

Signed,

Patiently waiting.

tombo1230

Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:00 pm

Is there a specific course in the pipeline on soloing/lead guitar. I know this is primarily an acoustic site and that is why I am here, but I have watched you on countless occasions improvising on the fly on the wall videos etc and I am sure there would be a lot of interest in this from other members.

Also my daughter who is 26 wants to know if you will ever be covering any Bonjovi songs? :)

Tom N (Tombo1230)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic