>> Live Show CHANGE Open To Everyone!!! Today Noon PST California Time

RicksPick

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:23 am

To Discuss something you feel strongly/ emotionally about Via a medium which has no chance of expressing any real emotion
Is a recipie for disaster

Even without sight the voice express's much more than the writtern word

Car'nt you tell by the mumbo jumbo I'm writing

Anyway Im sorry for continuong to hyjacking this thread

RicksPick

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Lessons I have learned today:

1) Don’t mess with the TG Bandshees, you have no chance!
2) You can lose an argument even when agreeing with nearly everything people are saying
3) You can upset people by making flippant comments even when they know you are being silly
4) Not everyone believes as I do that the intention is the most important part of any action or words

I will go and stand in the corner until I have permission to come back and play.

tovo

Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Making a smooth transition to strumming from picking isn't too hard it seems, but going back gives me some grief for a couple of reasons. Firstly getting the fingers immediately into the correct position, and also because going from strumming to picking usually involves a sudden and drastic change of tempo.

Can Neil suggest a good way to practice the technique of switching back and forth from strumming to picking to get that transition smooth?

thereshopeyet

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Deleted as not a question!

dennisg

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:48 pm

Vanessa, as you know, you and I agree 100 percent on this issue. But even if we didn't, I would still think you have the right to ask anything you want without having the question trivialized. I'm sorry that happened.

unclewalt

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:25 pm

When the overall population is about 50/50 male-female, a ratio of 316/16 certainly seems way out of whack. But I wonder what would happen if it were possible to tote up the number of women pop artists (already a small comparative number) who have created guitar-lesson-worthy songs that would fit in here (even smaller). My guess would be that it would still be way out of whack but probably somewhat better than the 5 percent that's represented here. But if you layer on top of that the fact that, as mentioned, Neil's tastes are largely responsible for what gets taught, and that, as a dude, he's far more likely to sing songs done by dudes, and it becomes more understandable. There are a lot of women artists, but relatively few of them are particularly guitar-centric.

Given all this, it seems to me that a rational conclusion would be that a request for more female artists is more than fair, but that it's probably UNfair to chastise Neil for not having featured more female artists here before this was brought to his attention. My vote would be for Joni Mitchell (good excuse to teach some jazz chords in a relatively simple context) or Gillian Welch. I could name a lot more, of course.

(Update: Reviewing the thread more closely, I now I see that this has been raised in the past, and an official answer was given. I wholeheartedly disagree with -- in fact, reject as utterly insensible -- that answer. But I still think Neil will offer some more womanish tunes here soon.)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks for apologising for me while I'm still standing over in the corner with broccoli in my socks!

dennisg wrote:
Vanessa, as you know, you and I agree 100 percent on this issue. But even if we didn't, I would still think you have the right to ask anything you want without having the question trivialized. I'm sorry that happened.

tvarga

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:48 pm

Someone questioned why I'm not very vocal in the forums. Well, I've been involved in way too many flame wars even from way back before the inter-tubes. I learned my lesson and stay away from them religiously! :)

That being said, I really do like listening to the ladies sing and play. There I said it. :) I've often listen to the likes of the Indigo Girls, Avril, Alanis, Basia, Brooke White, The Cranberries, Diana Krall, Dixie Chicks, Evanescence, The Fiery Furnaces, A Fine Frenzy, Florence, Heart, Hiroshima, Jennifer Warnes, Joan Jett, Joss Stone, Kate Nash, Kate Vogele, KT, Lily Allen, Lisa Loeb, Little Big Town, Liz Phair, Melody Gardot, Natalie Merchant, Nerina, Pink, Prototypes, Regina Spektor, Sheryl Crow, Tina Dico, The Ting Tings, Tracy Chapman, The Veronicas, Zee Avi, 10000 Maniacs, etc, etc. Certainly not all of these artists play music amenable to acoustic guitar, but I'm sure there's plenty to go on ...

Anyway, that actually wasn't why I sat down to add a post to this thread. Given the popularity of the busking threads, lately it seems that fewer people are actually uploading lessons for review. I guess I'm guilty of that too. Neil, please don't take that as a lack of interest in working on your lessons. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's just that there are so many more reasons to get distracted by new songs as people are uploading songs to the busking channel. I'm constantly saying, ohh I should try to learn that one and before I know it, I'm off in another direction. :)

So, my suggestion is that maybe you could occasionally provide some short reviews or feedback on videos that aren't actual lessons ... yet. For example, Scott recently uploaded a fantastic attempt at 'Mood For A day'. Since that song has been my number one 'wish list' song for years (well decades), I just decided to re-visit it again to see if I can make a better go at it this time. If you were to provide feedback, suggestions, tabs ... whatever to Scott, others would benefit too. And it could be done with very little effort. It wouldn't have to be done by video. In fact, on that thought, I believe that I had suggested some time previously that it might be nice if there was a way that you could be move involved with and provide feedback in the forums on various things you're seeing in the videos that could be improved upon ... and hence learned by others too.

Anyway, just a thought ...

-Tom

sbutler

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:34 pm

My question is this, Even if Neil never does a lesson on Pride and Joy (srv) would it be possible sometime to help some of us slow learners how to do that mute/shuffle/note/mute/shuffle technique that Stevie was so good at?

Scott

TGNeil

Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:24 am

unclewalt wrote:
(Update: Reviewing the thread more closely, I now I see that this has been raised in the past, and an official answer was given. I wholeheartedly disagree with -- in fact, reject as utterly insensible -- that answer. But I still think Neil will offer some more womanish tunes here soon.)
I wasn't aware there was an 'official' answer to side with or against. I must have missed the memo and am not even sure there is an issue. I think we have a pretty good track record of listening to the community and that likely will continue.

I also think I mentioned that there were songs in the pipeline that fall into the female artist category, although I have never looked at lessons as gender specific before. In any case, I'm sure some folks will be pleasantly surprised at some of the coming songs, and of course, others may be disappointed... Par for the course I guess.

As far as this thread is concerned, it was supposed to be questions for the proposed live show this weekend. Can we put this to bed and think about technique and theory questions that might be interesting?

Neil

By the way, my current female students are working on songs by the Runaways, the Band Perry, Sheryl Crow, Jewel, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Moody Blues, and a few bands named after animals and bugs that I can't remember right now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic