Richard Thompson

suziko

Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:27 am

As brilliant as Thompson' performance is, the best thing about the video might be Loudon Wainwright's argyle socks, so prominently featured.

Haha, just noticed that. Very stylin'!

lueders

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:12 pm

suziko wrote:
I liked that Del McCoury version, Cori, but wow does it have a different feel to it! It's very Grand Old Opry, and I don't know if it's just the voice, or the addition of the banjo, but (to me at least) there isn't the same gut-wrenching feel that you get in RT's version. Again, not to say I didn't like it. I love that classic bluegrass sound. I'd like to hear Greg Brown's cover, but I couldn't find it on YT, alas :(

Suzi

Suzi, how ya doin? I couldn't find it either. Here is Greg Brown doing Vincent Black Lightning from a live CD I had...
He doesn't have Richard's pyrotechnics but I like it...see what ya think?

songman52

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:19 pm

Buffy? Louden? Donovan? Must be a lot of "youngsters" on this site to remember all of these!
I particularly like some of Louden's son's (Rufus Wainwright) songs. My own children exposed me to him several years back, so I informed them about Rufus' dad. Of course every time I would start singing "Crossing the highway late one night, ..." they'd say "Dad, NO! Not again!"

Jerry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic