Tribute to Jerry Garcia

beaker

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:15 am

Hi folks,
I was just checking out Jerry Garcia on you tube and wanted to share this, since I just realized there is a forum topic for Best Guitar Players. This version of So Many Roads is from the Dead's last show ever, July 9, 1995. Jerry looks a little ragged and worn out. It's kind of sad and heartbreaking but at the same time, this song is just perfect for one of the last he ever played live. You can bet you would have heard a pin drop while it was being played. That's one thing about the Deadheads, when jerry was singing a ballad people really listened, a whole crowd of tens of thousands would be dead quiet. I remember experiencing this myself when I heard Jerry sing Stella Blue. I also posted this in particular song because Jerry's solo's are so sweet. Have a listen, if you are unfamiliar with it, I hope you like it.

Rest in Peace Jerry,

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks for posting this Beaker, great video of a great player. I note he is playing his Doug Irwin custom 'Rosebud' not 'Tiger', Rosebud developed a problem during his last concert so he reverted to 'Tiger' which was the last guitar he ever played on stage apparently. It is unclear what happened to 'Rosebud' but 'Tiger' was bequeathed to Doug Irwin who later auctioned it off for $850,000. The rest off the band got Garcia's other instruments but what happened thereafter is unclear, Irwin also got 'Wolf' I believe also auctioned.

beaker

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:09 pm

Chas,
Glad you liked the video. I think the rest of the Dead are taking good care of Jerry's other instruments. But you are right, Tiger was auctioned, (I thought for one million$... I could be wrong) and his other main guitar Wolf was sold for $750,000. I heard that one of them has disappeared... owned by some secret owner, and the other was bought by a wealthy sports team owner (Pittsburg Steelers?... not sure) who jams with it with his friends. It is a cool factoid that Jerry finished his last show with Tiger though since that was his main guitar for 10 years! (and the one he is most known for playing). Beaker.

mbleier

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:50 pm

Beaker, I haven't heard that one in quite some time. Thanks for sharing great music and a tribute to an amazing guitarist. Mike

leeson

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:41 pm

thanks Beaks
That was sweet.
I sure miss that guy.
Fortunately, he left behind a nearly endless body of music that I tap on a daily basis.
BTW, this is my desktop.
Bill Image

Chasplaya

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:11 pm

beaker wrote:
Chas,
Glad you liked the video. I think the rest of the Dead are taking good care of Jerry's other instruments. But you are right, Tiger was auctioned, (I thought for one million$... I could be wrong) and his other main guitar Wolf was sold for $750,000. I heard that one of them has disappeared... owned by some secret owner, and the other was bought by a wealthy sports team owner (Pittsburg Steelers?... not sure) who jams with it with his friends. It is a cool factoid that Jerry finished his last show with Tiger though since that was his main guitar for 10 years! (and the one he is most known for playing). Beaker.
It was Jim Irsay CEO of the Indianapolis Colts, apparently he has quite a collection of Celeb guitars.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic