All my favourites are gone

tovo

Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:07 pm

There are 3 players who I really spend a lot of time listening to; SRV, Gary Moore and Jeff Healey. They all have one thing in common of course...they are all no longer with us. SRV's tragic demise is well known, Gary died this year of a heat attack and Jeff was lost to that insidious disease.

Got me thinking....I think most of my favourite players won't be putting out any more albums. What about you? Are more of your favourites gone than not?

Chasplaya

Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Given the era of music I prefer, most of them have gone. Probably too many to list without getting depressed! SRV would be up there as one of those I miss the most though along with George Harrison, Kurt Cobain, Paul Kossoff and I'm not gonna even start with the Delta bluesmen!

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Well, I was just thinking the other day, maybe I will get to see Gordon Lightfoot and the Moody Blues, but I'd probably better do that soon.

sws626

Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:35 pm

As far as singer/songwriter's--John Denver and Jim Croce. Just pure voice--Conway Twitty.

I had the pleasure of seeing Gordon a few months back in Oklahoma City.

One of my very favorites has bladder cancer: Andy Williams. His book is wonderful; he actually got down to eating Alpo one night before making it. Visiting his theater and the Moon River Grill in Branson is truly one of my best memories.

TCS

jimbo58

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Jim croce. John denver. Harry chapin, George Harrison, these people were not only great guitarists, but also great songwriters who could still be contributing music to our lives, so I guess we just have to cherish what they left behind.

willem

Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:41 am

They'r gone but they leaved something behind..

willem

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:15 am

Is Cat Stevens gone? Philosophically speaking?

tovo

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:20 pm

TwoCatSam wrote:
Is Cat Stevens gone? Philosophically speaking?
Not musically. In my opinion. I saw him about a year ago and his voice is as good as ever.

Max

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Are your favorite guitarist dying? I think it's more of a sign that some of us are just getting old.

Many as you have pointed out, have passed away, some way to early, some of natural causes.
But some are still around: B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Santana, Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler, Jorma Kaukonen,
And as for singer songwriters, Paul Simon is in my opinion, one of the best.

Every generation has its guitar heroes, John Mayer is incredible, Monte Montgomery is mind blowing
I'm sure this list could go on & on, you just gotta be willing to listen.

Max

tovo

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:26 pm

Max wrote:
Are your favorite guitarist dying? I think it's more of a sign that some of us are just getting old.

Many as you have pointed out, have passed away, some way to early, some of natural causes.
But some are still around: B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Santana, Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler, Jorma Kaukonen,
And as for singer songwriters, Paul Simon is in my opinion, one of the best.

Every generation has its guitar heroes, John Mayer is incredible, Monte Montgomery is mind blowing
I'm sure this list could go on & on, you just gotta be willing to listen.

Max
Agree Max that Mayer is a great player. From a distance, it appears to me that he is underrated in his own country.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic