Latest Rolling Stone Greatest 100 Guitarist List

Chasplaya

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:38 pm

This is worth checking out just to read the comments everyone complaining about who is where lol..

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... n-19691231

wrench

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:20 pm

I really can't think of a subject much more subjective than this, so I won't pass judgment on it, but I will make a couple of observations. I'm stunned at how many acoustic players are not on the list. Tommy Emmanuel isn't one of the top 100? Really? Leo Kottke? Etc., Like I said, very subjective. The other observation I will make is the placement of players who play simple stuff very well vs. players who play really complex stuff. For example, Neil Young at #17 vs. John Fahey at #78. And who (besides Rolling Stone) thinks Paul Simon belongs at #93? Or maybe it's more about money than music?

Everyone's gonna have their own list, but thanks Chas for lighting the fuse!

Chasplaya

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:35 pm

wrench wrote:
I really can't think of a subject much more subjective than this, so I won't pass judgment on it, but I will make a couple of observations. I'm stunned at how many acoustic players are not on the list. Tommy Emmanuel isn't one of the top 100? Really? Leo Kottke? Etc., Like I said, very subjective. The other observation I will make is the placement of players who play simple stuff very well vs. players who play really complex stuff. For example, Neil Young at #17 vs. John Fahey at #78. And who (besides Rolling Stone) thinks Paul Simon belongs at #93? Or maybe it's more about money than music?

Everyone's gonna have their own list, but thanks Chas for lighting the fuse!
I quite agree with you about this being so subjective and biased towards electric guitarists, different demographics different lists I guess. Reading through the comments though its amazing how 'precious' some people get about their favourites! The best guitarist is the one that does it for you personally and this can change quite easily depending on genre plus my opinion changes with my mood I could never provide a list that would be the same two weeks running.

BobR

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi Chas,

I will really enjoy reading this. Thanks for the link

Bob

dsmarion

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:25 pm

These types of lists are always very subjective. What critteria do you use without biasing the outcome. Heck, ESPN's 100 Greatest Atheletes of the 20th Century had three horses on the list. This list has most of who most of us would have on the list -- the order is the thing we all disagree about. And that is purely subjective base on hidden criterias and biases.

Scott

sbutler

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:57 pm

I blew through the list pretty fast, but didn't see Peter Frampton, or Nancy Wilson. In my opinion, those two should be way up on any list like this. But it is fun to see them all stacked together.

sbutler

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:57 pm

I blew through the list pretty fast, but didn't see Peter Frampton, or Nancy Wilson. In my opinion, those two should be way up on any list like this. But it is fun to see them all stacked together.

AND they missed that mustach toting, Ed Claxton playing guy from Los Gatos California. Hmmm, now what is his name?????

tovo

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:34 pm

I really enjoyed pouring over the list Chas, thanks for the link. I have to comment on a couple in particular. No Tommy E? Serious? Then Angus Young at 24? I guess simple can be brilliant, and he is a huge influence...but I was surprised. I also chuckled when I saw John Lennon at 55. Wonder what the Mr Hogan thought of that particular entry?

TGNeil

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:40 pm

The operative word here is 'Greatest'... by what criteria? Influential, inspirational, creative, technical genius, etc. When people ask me to compare guitarists I mostly look at how successful they are at what they are trying to do. This makes most comparisons apples and oranges problems. How to compare Mark Knopfler with David Gilmour or Andy Latimer might be one thing, but any of them with John Fahey, John Lennon or John Fogerty might be a bit meaningless. This is even just talking about comparing, let alone rating and ranking. These types of lists are always amusing, and generally nothing else.

Neil

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:43 am

"The Greatest" was Mohamed Ali and I don't recall seeing a guitar in his hands ;-).
My list of favourites would include TE, Paco, John Williams, Keith Richards, Paul Simon, Chris Rea, Ry Cooder, Mark Knoffler, Gordon Lightfoot, Dan Fogelberg, George Harrison, Melissa Etheridge and others for very different reasons but I have a problem drawing up a ranking.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic