Fun stuff for kids - Beatle's Yellow Submarine iBook

michelew

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi everyone,

Well I'm off to Perth (the opposite side of Australia - 5 hours flight) in a couple of weeks and one of the things I'm really looking forward to is catching up with the the kids (3-7). I'm taking my ukulele and I've been thinking about fun songs I can learn and play that they do or will love to sing. One that I had decided on was Yellow Submarine, well of course you say. "Never Smile at a Crocodile', and 'I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas' are also on the list. I'm open to suggestions for other fun kid songs.

Anyway, I've also been looking for fun games and puzzles and books and drawing applications and instruments (basically fun stuff) that we can do together using my iPad. This morning songs and fun app.s came together in the form of a free iBook called "The Beatles - Yellow Submarine". It's a book of course, a cut down version of the story line of the movie. It has animations and bits of songs and silly music jokes and is bright and colorful. And it finishes with 'All You Need is Love" a great motto to live by. Did I mention it's free and available on iTunes? Well I think they'll love it. It should be great fun. We're probably get some kid ukuleles and teach them at least the chorus and some other 2 or 3 chord songs. Now that will be fun.

I've just restrung my ukulele with cool black fluoro carbon strings too and it's sounding nice.

Having silly musical fun with kids...it's right up there with the meaning of life. Oh course having an excuse to be a big kid is fun too. :)

:)

Just sharing.

Michele

lueders

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Have a great time, Michele! This sounds like a good time in the making! I think that the yellow submarine stuff sounds great.
Here is another book that you may or may not be interested in...if you can even get your hands on it...

Here is the link:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=greg+brown ... orm=ZGAPHP

My all-time favorite Greg Brown wrote the title track: "Down By the Seaside Hotel" There are songs covered for kids by: Neil Young, Mary Chapin Carpenter, & Tom Waits. (I know, I know Tom Waits for kids? What the...?) (And I know you're not a big Neil Young fan...per se) but I dunno, I thought I would throw it out there.

P.S. Can we expect any new uke posts from you in the future...or are you having trouble putting down the bass?

michelew

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:37 pm

lueders wrote:
Have a great time, Michele! This sounds like a good time in the making! I think that the yellow submarine stuff sounds great.
Here is another book that you may or may not be interested in...if you can even get your hands on it...

Here is the link:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=greg+brown ... orm=ZGAPHP

My all-time favorite Greg Brown wrote the title track: "Down By the Seaside Hotel" There are songs covered for kids by: Neil Young, Mary Chapin Carpenter, & Tom Waits. (I know, I know Tom Waits for kids? What the...?) (And I know you're not a big Neil Young fan...per se) but I dunno, I thought I would throw it out there.

P.S. Can we expect any new uke posts from you in the future...or are you having trouble putting down the bass?
You're a sweetie Cori!!!!

Thanks. I'll definitely be checking them out.

New posts... well I'm actually running a lot behind on a few projects. I blame work (the time vortex) and instrument marshmellow syndrome. :)

And talking about uke posts...when are you going to show off your pineapple?? I just checked the Busking Ukulele songs thread...not there...did I miss it? :)

Actually I just remembered 'Puff the Magic Dragon'. If I do post something I'll start a busking kids songs thread. If anyone wants to get it started then just go right ahead. I'm sure i and many others of us here will find it very inspirational.

Thanks again Cori.

Shel

lueders

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:50 pm

Sounds like a great idea!! You might check this out for inspiration:

http://www.bridgeschool.org/concert/index.php

I have a four year old nephew who already wants a guitar! So I'll have teach em some Bash-It- Out Baby Beluga or Rockin' Raffi Riffs! LOL! :)

P.S. I'd better get cookin' on the uke...I been goofin' on a few.

michelew

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:43 pm

lueders wrote:
Sounds like a great idea!! You might check this out for inspiration:

http://www.bridgeschool.org/concert/index.php

I have a four year old nephew who already wants a guitar! So I'll have teach em some Bash-It- Out Baby Beluga or Rockin' Raffi Riffs! LOL! :)

P.S. I'd better get cookin' on the uke...I been goofin' on a few.
Thanks. I've got some Bridge School stuff which really like.

Well I'd love to see a video of you and your nephew rockin' out. :)

And get cookin' indeed! :)

shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic