A Dangerous Method (And the explosion in Freud's bookcase.)

buddy

Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:48 am

First, with respect to Michelew's poll--the "F" bomb appeared once in this movie and was somewhat OK. He could have asked, "Have you been intimate with her?" and it would have worked for me.

Anyway, if you like cerebral movies, this one could be for you. It tells the story of Jung and Freud and how they interacted. Which brings me to the explosion. I went to see this movie mainly to see if they addressed this question.

Jung and Freud were having a stiffled yet heated discussion when suddenly a small, electrical pop came from Freud's bookcase. Jung claimed to have done it with psychokinesis and told Freud it would happen again, which it did. Years ago I read a book entited FREUD AND JUNG which addressed this phenomenon. It seems both men wrote in thier papers that it did happen.

If any of you has ever heard of this story, I would be interested to know if you believe it. Even if you haven't, what do you think?

1. Would both Freud and Jung lie? And why?
2. Assuming they did not lie, is psychokinesis real? Was the explosion a manifestation of Jung's repressed anger?

And--of course--the point: If I become frustraed enough, will my guitar explode?

G'nite........

TwoCat

cosmicmechanic

Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:23 am

TwoCat, there is a wonderful space where your frustration with your guitar and the actual inertia and entropy of the physical object cancel each other out.

Rest assured that you and your family are safe from guitar shrapnel ... well, come to think of it, I have heard stories ... oh, never mind.

Hope this helps,
G'nite

Pierre

dsmarion

Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:01 am

Hey Sam,

Ok, first if I can assume the explosion did in fact happen then I firmly believe that at least one of them lied and the other was fooled into thinking it was done the way you describe. Of course it must have been done by some other trick and not psychokinesis. And remember what Houdini said - doctors are easily fooled because they always look for complicated answers for how a trick was done and the answer is always very simple. Children are the hardest to fool because they look where you don't want them to.

On the second point of your guitar exploding it won't explode no matter how frustrated you get. What it will do is sulk in the corner by itself and lie undisturbed for years - don't let it get away with this childish behavior!!!

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic