BAGROCK ... RHCP'S

Chasplaya

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Red Hot Chili Pipers lol got ya foks..

Listen to these YT sorry need to wait till half way through for 'Rocking All Over The World' and on some ot the others promo vids, but check out the others also...

Rocking All Over The World. Status Quo

Clocks. Coldplay

Hey Jude. The Beatles

Smoke On The Water. Deep Purple

Chasing Cars, Snow Patrol

willem

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:05 am

Haha, well you got me fooled indeed! :laugh:

But yeah, it's pretty cool! :)

neverfoundthetime

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:14 am

Chas, I listened to Hey Jude by the RHCP thinking it was Smoke on the water and couldn't tell until half way through!
What the heck happened, did Simon Cowell have a bad night at the Edinburgh Festival and thought he was signing the Bay City Rollers or what? :laugh:

PS: Here's a thing, why is Edinburgh written in a Germanic spelling. I mean no one gets their throat (why isn't that written throught?) around the "borough" sound better than the Scots! As I was writing, I realised I'd never written the word Edinburgh before so started off with Endinborough and Edingborough but realised it didn't look right but being used to having to remind German speakers that English words are usually not pronounced as they look (phonetically) but any old which way, I didn't think it would be written the way the Germans say it, which is phonetically! If I'm not making sense, blame the guy who invented spelling!

dennisg

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:50 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Chas, I listened to Hey Jude by the RHCP thinking it was Smoke on the water and couldn't tell until half way through!
What the heck happened, did Simon Cowell have a bad night at the Edinburgh Festival and thought he was signing the Bay City Rollers or what? :laugh:

PS: Here's a thing, why is Edinburgh written in a Germanic spelling. I mean no one gets their throat (why isn't that written throught?) around the "borough" sound better than the Scots! As I was writing, I realised I'd never written the word Edinburgh before so started off with Endinborough and Edingborough but realised it didn't look right but being used to having to remind German speakers that English words are usually not pronounced as they look (phonetically) but any old which way, I didn't think it would be written the way the Germans say it, which is phonetically! If I'm not making sense, blame the guy who invented spelling!
I blame everything on the Saxons. Life is just easier that way.

dennisg

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:54 am

Chas,

A technical question about the bagpipe: while listening to the RHCP version of Hey Jude, I heard several notes that were not exactly Beatle-esque. It got me wondering if that's just the way this band plays the song or if certain notes just aren't available on the bagpipe.

Catman

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:36 am

dennisg wrote:
A technical question about the bagpipe: while listening to the RHCP version of Hey Jude, I heard several notes that were not exactly Beatle-esque. It got me wondering if that's just the way this band plays the song or if certain notes just aren't available on the bagpipe.
The bagpipe is not a chromatic instrument. from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Highland_Bagpipe):

The scale on the chanter is in Mixolydian mode, which has a flattened 7th or leading tone. It has a range from one whole tone lower than the tonic to one octave above it (in piper's parlance: "Low G, Low A, B, C, D, E, F, High G, and High A"; the C and F should be called sharp but this is invariably omitted).

Catman

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:38 am

dennisg wrote:
The bagpipe is not a chromatic instrument. from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Highland_Bagpipe):

The scale on the chanter is in Mixolydian mode, which has a flattened 7th or leading tone. It has a range from one whole tone lower than the tonic to one octave above it (in piper's parlance: "Low G, Low A, B, C, D, E, F, High G, and High A"; the C and F should be called sharp but this is invariably omitted).

BobR

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:40 am

Chas,
Very Unique indeed. I think I enjoyed Chasing Cars the most.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

Chasplaya

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:50 pm

dennisg wrote:
Chas,

Whilst Catman is correct sort of (Not 'sought of' as some would write , for Chris' benefit) , here is an article which endeavours to explain more:

http://cityofoaks.home.netcom.com/Bagpipe_Tuning.html

Chasplaya

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:13 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:

Firstly yea sassenach, tune your ears mon!

Secondly, the spelling of Edinburgh is not something I'd ever really thought about. However, the name is believed to be derived from Celtic and maybe latterly Saxon words. The name is thought to have first been Din Eiyden, changing to Dùn Èideann through time, Din or Dun in Gaelic meaning Hill Fort. But the the Burgh/Borough bit originally comes from Saxon Buhr also meaning Fort or Hill Fort. It all came about from the Goddodin people who ruled the central part of Scotland and the Northern parts of Britain and Wales, where they came from I'm not sure. The change to Burgh, the Germanic spelling came after the Roman occupation as the term Germanic is attributed to Julius Caesar describing either the land or the people

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic