Zeppelin or Floyd?

tovo

Sun May 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Which band has had the biggest impact, Zeppelin or Floyd?

Yep, I know they are both epic bands. If you had to choose, which one would it be? If you had the chance to see one in their prime (and maybe you did) which one would it be? Would you climb the stairway to heaven or would you remain comfortably numb?

Music Junkie

Sun May 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Tony:

For me, it would have to be Zep. I do enjoy some Pink FLoyd, but I can listen to Zep any time. Their music has always been my definition of Rock n Roll..... B)

This could easily be a 50/50 split though, cause both are tremendous.... ;)

J

sbutler

Sun May 20, 2012 9:27 pm

This one is easy for me Tony. Zeppelin has to be the pic (at least for me). I think they've been recording longer, probably sold a lot more albums, and have arguably the greatest rock song of all time.

No doubts for me. ZEP

Scott

Lavallee

Sun May 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi Tony, Led Zep was more influential I would say because their music is quite riff oriented (some of the best) thus making it easier to attract fans so would also have more bands covering them. They were my group for a long time. Pink Floyd music was more about quality of sounds, more breathing in the solos but more melodic and more elaborate arrangements. I would say they had influence in music later on when people started to be more open minded about music. I do like both to a similar level, but my mood would decide which group I would listen to.

Marc

RicksPick

Mon May 21, 2012 2:06 pm

My choice is pink Floyd
Cos its the sounds over the rock for me
And slightly more my era

RicksPick

Chasplaya

Mon May 21, 2012 4:45 pm

Today I'm a Floyd fan tomorrow hmmm maybe a Zep fan or it might be someone else Mmmm hard question difficult to decide. Ok if I were pushed I'd say Pink Floyd cos I've seen them.

BigBear

Tue May 22, 2012 1:20 am

Tony- I think Zeppelin was more influencial because songs like Whole Lotta Love really broke new ground in hard rock. That heavy, driving beat was unheard of before that. And I love Zep. Stairway is still my most favorite song of all time.

But Pink Floyd could take you places no other band in history could. A good pair of headphones, a dark room, a soft chair and, well, I'll leave the rest to your imagination. When David Gilmour took over for Sid Barrett, PF became something very special. Gilmour never wasted a single note. Later bands became "more is better". PF distilled their sound down to only the bare essentials for big impact. Gilmour wasn't playing music, he was talking to you through his music. Jimmy Page is an amazing guitarist in that 60's blues-influenced British rock genre. But he was just a great guitarist.

I was fortunate to see both bands in their prime and both were amazing but different. Zep the consummate hard rock band. The Floyd the classic concept band. I always felt you listened to Zep, but you experienced PF. Zep blew your ears off. PF messed with your mind.

The Wall is playing in Portland tomorrow night. Unfortunately, I will not be attending due to financial concerns. But I will be there in spirit. I don't believe The Wall is close to their best work but it did get the most commercial attention. After 30 years it still is packing them in.

Catman

Tue May 22, 2012 4:00 am

I prefer PF in general, but I would have to agree that LZ have some staggering songs and performances.

Rick, I totally agree with you about David Gilmour and how he epitomizes the "less is more" way of music.

-David (not Gilmour)

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 22, 2012 5:39 am

Ah, nice to log in to see a Tony Question on the forum. This just feels like TG, all fluffy and warm and all's well with the world. :)

While Zeppelin have some of the really great rock sounds like Stairway to Heaven, my personal fave is Battle of Evermore... God knows why, I'm not sure but of all their songs I've listened to that most. But Floyd are something else to my ears. At the time they both started out, I was maybe a little young to appreciate them... that came later. Bear makes some interesting points which ring true to me about Gilmore's style and "experiencing" Floyd rather than listening... that pretty much nails it. I've seen Floyd in an open air stadium (Basel) and it is something everyone should experience but as Bear said, its the headphone and dark room experience which wins out... Dark Side of the Moon would be the vinyl of my choice there.

I was running our Junior SQUASH !T final tournament of the season (90 kids) at the weekend and we had an outside event tent with a lounge and "bar" and Hot Dog stand, nice and sunny... and I plugged my music into the speaker system as I worked the tournament desk. I put Pink Floyd on and it was met with great appreciation by the kids ... so for sure PF spans the generations still.

BRBbrb

Tue May 22, 2012 10:52 am

Well my boys who range from 16 - 21 still wear t-shirts of both. But if I could go back in time; I would take the Stairway to Heaven. Whenever I throw in a Zep CD, especially their double DVD, I feel 18 all over again & so proud of my era! To me LZ is the pinnacle & we will never get better than that.

LZ - raw, on-stage talent
PF experimental, studio art

@Neverfound; "Battle of Evermore" is my fave too, never gets any airplay! The Wilson sisters also covered it brilliantly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic