Artists you should check out- Laura Marling and Peter Katz

AcousticAl

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:39 am

Haven't been on TG a lot recently- busy, busy!

H & I have been to a few concerts this month- Laura Marling and Peter Katz. I've posted Peter on here before- but Laura Marling is new to me and definitely deserves a listen (and a look ;) ). H calls her a demi-goddess! Great fingerpicking and singing! I'm trying to put my finger on who she reminds me of.. thoughts?

I recorded the first clip of Ms. Marling at the Phoenix in Toronto- and the second clip is the full song.

I recorded the next clip of Peter at the Great Hall in Toronto- no guitar, but still great.
The second clip was at 'Juno Fest', where Peter was nominated for a Juno award (Canada's Grammys)

Enjoy!

Lavallee

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:43 am

Must have been a good show Al. She really has a warm voice, like a Diana Krall with a guitar. Is she a classical guitar player as she picks with her wrist at an angle? Does she has any south american type song in her repertoire ? I bet that would give a great rendering (Bossa nova type of song)

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:08 am

Were you thinking Tanita Tikaram, Al? There's a touch of her in Laura's voice.

AcousticAl

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Must have been a good show Al. She really has a warm voice, like a Diana Krall with a guitar. Is she a classical guitar player as she picks with her wrist at an angle? Does she has any south american type song in her repertoire ? I bet that would give a great rendering (Bossa nova type of song)

Marc

Yes- I hear some Diana Krall there, Marc.
And I don't know about being classically trained- but she's got some serious guitar chops!! Shoulda seen her go on a few of her other numbers!!

AcousticAl

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:15 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Were you thinking Tanita Tikaram, Al? There's a touch of her in Laura's voice.

Thanks for sharing that, Chris. I had never heard of Tanita before, and she does have a similar tone as well.
I don't know why I was thinking Eva Cassidy a bit as well...

cosmicmechanic

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi Al,

About Laura Marling ... I had no idea that Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell had a "love child" !

Pierre

AcousticAl

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:33 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Hi Al,

About Laura Marling ... I had no idea that Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell had a "love child" !

Pierre

YES- she does sound like Joni Mitchell in some of her songs!
But I should stop guessing and just accept that she sounds like LAURA MARLING.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:23 am

I was thinking Eva Cassidy too Al,must have been the look.
Interestingly, Tanita Tikeram's influences were also Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen, Pierre. Looks like they had more than one love child!

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:29 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
YES- she does sound like Joni Mitchell in some of her songs.
But I should stop guessing and just accept that she sounds like LAURA MARLING.
Al, I didn't really mean to say that her singing is like Joni Mtchell's.
The video you posted let me discover that Laura Marling's playing and singing presence is reminiscent of Joni Mitchell.
I also found that her lyrics and general tone are Cohen-like, and that applies for Tanita Tikaram (Chris's find) as well.

These artists are quite their own persons ... I agree it would be wrong to think that digging up a patchwork of influences to describe them does the trick ... but it's fun :)

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic