Artists You Should Check Out - Newton Faulkner

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:57 am

Some time ago, a fellow TG'er referenced Newton Faulkner as an artist they liked. I might be in the minority here, so forgive me if this is a worthless post to some of you.... :unsure:

I had never heard of him back then, but have grown to really enjoy his work. Here are two of his songs that I really like:

"I Need Something" - (So sorry about the use of Vevo and the STUPID ads they have, but it was the best sounding version I could find)

The other song is called "Uncomfortably Slow"

J

P.S. - Many thanks to the person that turned me on to Newton. Can't remember who it was.... :silly:

lueders

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:50 pm

Yeah, Jason that's pretty nice and mellow stuff! I think I will check out more of his tunes.
I gotta admit his sound threw me though at first...when I saw those dreads I was expecting some acoustic funk, acoustic punk, acoustic reggae/ska or anything but the laid back low-fi folksy seventies sound. Very Good stuff!!

I would enjoy a lesson on him, for sure. I totally understand how a person can really, really get into these new musical discoveries or lesser known artists.
While we are on the subject of artist lessons to die for...I would go bananas if Neil were ever do a lesson on Greg Brown.
And lately, with these cool/interesting forays into other genres...who knows? Stranger things have happened...

ncsurfer

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks for the post, definitely be looking more of his stuff up. Thanks!

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:13 pm

lueders wrote:
Yeah, Jason that's pretty nice and mellow stuff! I think I will check out more of his tunes.
I gotta admit his sound threw me though at first...when I saw those dreads I was expecting some acoustic funk, acoustic punk, acoustic reggae/ska or anything but the laid back low-fi folksy seventies sound. Very Good stuff!!

I would enjoy a lesson on him, for sure. I totally understand how a person can really, really get into these new musical discoveries or lesser known artists.
While we are on the subject of artist lessons to die for...I would go bananas if Neil were ever do a lesson on Greg Brown.
And lately, with these cool/interesting forays into other genres...who knows? Stranger things have happened...
Cori:

There is a site that has some lessons the Newton actually did himself on a few of his songs. I'll try to drum it up again. It was a pay per lesson thing and I am always leery about those after being so spoiled here at TG. I am always so disappointed by those lessons that say: "All you have to do is this, this, and that! Simple! Anyone can do it now...." Yeah, well, anyone but me, I guess.... :P

I was messing with Uncomfortably slow for a bit, but everything I found shows a capo II and all of the videos I have seen of him playing it he is capo IV.... I am just not talented enough to make it out on my own.... :unsure:

I was surprised by his style and voice as well when I first heard it. Thought the same thing you did.... B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic