Love, Love Me Do for another 50 years and then some; a Beatles 50th anniversary

michelew

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:48 am

There's an interesting article in my local newspaper today about four boys from Liverpool who have made an indelible mark on music and the world. Yesterday 5 October, was the 50th anniversary of the the release of The Beatles' first song, Love Me Do. Regardless of whether you agree with everything in this article or even whether you're a big fan, I doubt you'll disagree about just how instantly recognisable so many of their songs are. They certainly have passed the test of time.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... 271xx.html

They really are awesome. :)

How many Beatles songs do you think you know all the words to? :)

Enjoy.

Shel

willem

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:32 am

Congrats to the Beatles Michele.

Well for me I was not a huge fan,my older brother(6 years older then me) is that Beatle generation(and Elvis of course) but when I hear them on the radio or such I recognice them and sing a lot of word with it ,,most it are the chorusses...

When I started learning the guitar and became a target member here on TG then I discoverd the Beatles for myself and the songs I learned are..

Blackbird---and I love her----Michelle----with a little help from my friends....norwegian wood...well If you ask me to play them its not so that I shuffle it out my sleeves at ones..if you know what I mean!!!

I love the Beatles and wish I could play all there songs..

Willem

EDIT: now I'm sure that I want to learn ''love me do'',,so pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaase love do-oo!!!

daryl

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:37 am

It's hard (and sad) to believe it's been 50 years. Timeless. Great music.

I'd say I think I know the words to all their songs. But then I'd be wrong.

dennisg

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 am

I remember when the Beatles first hit the radio in America, my brother came running into my bedroom with a transistor radio and breathlessly said, "You've got to hear these guys! They're great, and I'm pretty sure they're from Texas!"

tombo1230

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:35 pm

They were an amazing band with fabulous talent.

There's an article in a Scotish paper today that tells the story of Iris Caldwell who dated both George Harrison then later on Paul McCartney.
She apparently inspired two Beatles hits. The first one was, 'She was just seventeen' and when her and Paul broke up he wrote about his feelings in the song 'Yesterday'.

Interestingly her brother was 'Rory' of the band 'Rory and the hurricanes.' whose drummer was a guy called Ringo Starr. George was refused entry to this band as he was deemed 'too young' and the rest is history as they say.

Iris is taking part in a new documentary called Beatles Stories.

Tom N.

michelew

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:24 am

dennisg wrote:
I remember when the Beatles first hit the radio in America, my brother came running into my bedroom with a transistor radio and breathlessly said, "You've got to hear these guys! They're great, and I'm pretty sure they're from Texas!"
Great story Den.

BTW - Being born in 1966, I'm sure my name is due to the Beatles 'Michelle' (released in later '65) as my mum was a big fan (they just couldn't spell it properly ... along with my middle name which I've never seen spell the way mine is... another story). Actually there were lots of Michelle/Michele s around my age when I was going through school.

Texas... hillarious. :)

michelew

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:28 am

Willem - go for it. It's a cool song.

Daryl - actually they've got such a big catalog that I'm actually still finding ones that I don't know very well at all. But, there are lots that are engraved into my brain.

Tom - good story - I'll watch out for it.

willem

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:03 am

Well if ''love me do'' was there first song 50 years a go then we have a long way to wait till it is released here....maybe its easy and we have the tools already..

Which Beatle song was the first lesson here??

thereshopeyet

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:25 am

Willem Wrote:
When I started learning the guitar and became a target member here on TG then I discoverd the Beatles for myself and the songs I learned are..
That's me for sure...... Half A Century Behind...... :ohmy:
They are great, for sure.

Hey Willem, you need some loving....... how about this Bride?

If it works out...............................
Do I get a Finders Fee?

:laugh: :laugh:

willem

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:50 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Willem Wrote:
That's me for sure...... Half A Century Behind...... :ohmy:
They are great, for sure.

Hey Willem, you need some loving....... how about this Bride?

If it works out...............................
Do I get a Finders Fee?

:laugh: :laugh:

A lot of money for being a seed donor.. :laugh: :laugh: B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic