Missing Michael Dunsford of Renaissance

BigBear

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:33 pm

I was saddened to read of the passing of one of the great talents of the progressive rock movement, Michael Dunsford of Renaissance. Michael (and Renaissance) never got the fame of some of the other great prog-rock bands like Yes, Camel, King Crimson or Genesis but his contributions to this genre were incredible. Renaissance was a band I fell in love with in the early 70's primarily because of Annie Haslam's stunning voice. She could take you places you'd never been before with that voice but Dunsford was the creative talent behind the many versions of Renaissance.

The sad part is the band reunited last year and was in the middle of a very successful tour. I have been lucky enough to see them in concert many times and was hoping they still might make a Pacific NW stop. Renaissance cannot survive without Dunsford's talent IMHO.

Neil was kind enough to do lesson on Renaissance's Ocean Gypsy a year ago so check it out. Also, check out Renaissance on YouTube. The videos are not great but the music certainly is.

R.I.P. Michael and thank you for so many years of brilliant music!! I will miss your talent. :(